Dr Daniel B Marcum
P.O. Box 9, 44218 A Street
McArthur, CA 96056-0009
SpecialtyIrrigation, plant nutrition, salinity, entomology, sustainable agriculture, agronomy, vegetable crops, engineering, plant pathology, integrated pest management, systems management, economics, weed control, nematology, strawberry nursery production, garlic, wild rice, alfalfa, timothy, sugarbeet, pasture, range, biodiversity, peppermint, viticulture
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plant Commodities and Products
- Vegetable Crops - Other
- Plants and Their Systems
- Natural Resources and Environment
Education PhD – Plant Pathology, UCDavis – 1980 , MS - Plant Pathology, UCRiverside – 1970 , BS - Plant Science, UCDavis – 1960, AS Agriculture (Viticulture), Reedley College – 1967.
Professional Societies American Society of Enology and Viticulture, American Phytopathological Society, Soil Science Society of America
Employment history March 1976 and continuing – Responsible for Cooperative Extension (CE) plant science research and education in Eastern Shasta and Western Lassen Counties.
In Press - Marcum, D.B. 2006. Wildrice production in California. ANR publication 21622 accepted November 29, 2005.
Marcum, D.B. and B.R. Hanson. 2006. Effect of irrigation and harvest timing on peppermint oil yield in California. Agricultural Water Management 82:118-128.
In Press - Marcum, D.B. and R.M. Davis. 2006. First report of damping-off of wild rice in California caused by Pythium torulosum. Plant Disease. Accepted December 13, 2005.
Marcum, D.B., W.T. Lanini and H.L. Carlson 2005. UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Peppermint, UC ANR Publication 3457 Weeds. Updated 10/05 by Barbara Ohlendorf.
Epperson, W.L., J.M. Edie, D.B. Marcum, E.L. Fitzhugh, and R.E. Delmas. 1999. Late Season hay harvest provides habitat for marshland birds. California Agriculture 53:12-17.
Benefield, C.B, J.M. DiTomaso, G.B. Kyser, S.B. Orloff, K.R. Churches. D.B. Marcum, G.A. Nader. 1999. Success of mowing to control yellow starthistle depends on timing and plant’s branching form. California Agriculture 53:17-21.
Meyer, R.D., D.B. Marcum, H.A. George, G.G. Markegard, and G.M. Nakamura. 1999. Agricultural use of wood ash in California. ANR Publication 21573.
Meyer, R.D., and D.B. Marcum. 1998. Potato yield, petiole nitrogen and soil nitrogen response to water and nitrogen. Agronomy Journal 90:420-429.
Marcum, D.B., and W.T. Lanini. 1998. UC IPM Pest management guidelines: Peppermint. UC DANR Publication 3339.
DiTomaso, J.M., D.B. Marcum, M.S. Rasmussen, E.A. Healy. 1997. Post-fire herbicide sprays enhance native plant diversity. California Agriculture 51:6-11.
Meyer, R.D., D.B. Marcum, and S.B. Orloff. 1995. Fertilization. In InterMountain Alfalfa Management. S.B. Orloff and H.L Carlson Eds. Publication 3366. Univ. of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. pp. 41-49, 96-98.
Meyer, R.D., and D.B. Marcum. 1980. Alfalfa response to rate and source of sulphur in California. Sulphur in Agriculture 4:23-24.
- Cultivated Wild Rice Production In California
- Integrated Pest Management for Strawberries, 2nd Edition
- Intermountain Alfalfa Management
- Irrigated Alfalfa Management for Mediterranean and Desert...
- Peppermint: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Weeds of California and Other Western States
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- Late season hay harvest provides habitat for marshland birds
- Success of mowing to control yellow starthistle depends on timing and plant's branching form
- Post-fire herbicide sprays enhance native plant diversity
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Agricultural Management and Economics - Member
- Agronomy Continuing Conference - Member
- Alfalfa and Forage Systems - Member
- Bioenergy - Member
- Biometrics and Computer Software - Member
- California Communities - Member
- Conservation Biology - Member
- Fire - Member
- Forest Ecosystems and Communities - Member
- Integrated Grape Production - Member
- Linking Research & Education in Agricultural & Environmental Biotechnology - Member
- Natural Resources Coordinating Conference - Member
- Oak Woodland Conservation - Member
- Organic - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Pomology Extension Coordinating Conference (PECC) - Member
- Small Farm - Member
- Small Grain - Member
- Spray Application Technology - Member
- Strawberry - Member
- Weed - Member