4145 Branch Center Road
Sacramento, CA 95827-3823
Yvonne Nicholson has a M.S. degree in Family Resources. She is responsible for administration of Sacramento County Cooperative Extension's Nutrition, Family, and Consumer Sciences educational community outreach programs, including Master Food Preserver volunteer program. She has been involved with UC faculty in conducting nutrition and health applied research focusing on African-American, Latino, Russian, and Vietnamese cultures.
SpecialtyMulticultural dietary food practices, resource management
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Human Nutrition, Food Safety, and Human Health and Well-Being
- Protect Food From Contamination By Pathogenic Microorganisms, Parasites, and Naturally Occurring Toxins
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Uc Calfresh Nutrition Education Program
- Jones, A., C. Lamp (2012). Development of a Questionnaire to Measure Nutrition Knowledge in Adults. The American Physiological Society-Experimental Biology Conference.
- Nicholson, Y. (2012). Eat Well Dine Well- A Health Awareness Program for Latino Families. Network for a Healthy California Statewide Conference.
- Townsend, M., S. Algert (2010). "New Youth Evaluation Tool Saves Teachers' Time." UC Delivers
- Nicholson, Y. (2010). Youth Nutrition Summer Day Camp. Statewide EFNEP/FSNEP Conference.
- Nicholson, Y. (2009). "Eat Well Dine Well - A health awareness program for Latino Families." UC Delivers
- Nicholson, Y. (2009). "Healthy Habits developed at UC Cooperative Extension Summer Day Camp." UC Delivers
- Nguyen, K., J. Ikeda (2008). Childhood Obesity Prevention with Asian Families. Network for a Healthy California National Conference. Sacramento California,
- Townsend, M.S., K. Sylva (2008). Meeting 'MYPYRAMID' Guidelines with EFNEP and FSNEP participants: From Servings to Cups. UCCE Nutrition Update Conference. Buehler Alumni & Visitors Center at UCD,
- Branna, J., M.S. Townsend (2008). "Validation of a Food Behavior Checklist for Spanish Speakers." Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 40(4): S29.
- Crawford, P.B., C.L. Lamp (2007). "Food Insecurity may be a link to Childhood Obesity in Low-Income Mexican-American Families." California Agriculture 61(3): 106-111.
- Townsend, M.S., J.C. Banna (2007). Validation of items for a food behavior checklist in Spanish: Phase 1. Report to Funder; Sharon Sugerman. California Department of Health Services, Public Health Institute.
- Crawford, P., J. Ikeda (2006). Body Weight & Health Workgroup Addresses Food Security and Childhood Overweight Issues. ANR Human Resources Conference. Hayes Mansion, San Jose,
- Ikeda, J.P., C.L. Lexion (2006). "Dietary Quality Is Not Linked Across Three Generations of Black Women." California Agriculture 60(3): 154-159.
- Townsend, M., L. Ontai-Grzebik (2006). Healthy Weight Index for FSNEP Adults Final Report 2006.
- Townsend, M.S., M. Johns (2004). Cooperative Extension Evaluates Youth EFNEP. ANR Human Resources Conference. UC Davis,
- Kaiser, L.L., A.C. Martin (2004). "Food Insecurity Prominent Among Low-Income California Latinos." California Agriculture 58(1): 18-23.
- Townsend, M.S., P. Wooten-Swanson (2004). Guided Goal Setting: EFNEP Youth Learn New Life Skill. ANR Human Resources Conference. UC Davis,
- Nicholson, Y. (2004). Nutrition and the Pregnant Client. Sacramento, CA, Sacramento County Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) Roundtable.: 13 slides.
- Kaiser, L.L., H. Melgar-Quinonez (2003). "Food Insecurity and Food supplies in Latino Households with Young Children." Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 35(3): 148-153.
- Townsend, M., M. Shilts (2003). Youth Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program California Evaluation Study Final Report 2003.
- Li-Cohen, A.E., M. Klenk (2002). "Refining Consumer Safe Handling Educational Materials through Focus Groups." Dairy, Food and Environmental Sanitation 22(7): 539-551.
- Nicholson, Y. (2002). Sensational Snacks lesson module. Reading Up the Food Guide Pyramid Statewide Curriculum.: 14.
- Romero-Gwynn, E., Y. Nicholson (1997). "Dietary Practices of Refugees from the Former Soviet Union." Nutrition Today 32(4): 153-156.
- Romero-Gwynn, E., Y. Nicholson (1997). "Refugees of Former Soviet Union slowly adopt U.S. diet." California Agriculture 51(6): 24-28.
- Nicholson, Y. (1997). "Understanding Dietary Patterns of Russian Immigrants in Northern California." The Reporter 3(2): 13.
- Romero-Gwynn, E., Y. Nicholson (1995). Dietary Patterns of People from the Former Soviet Union Living in Sacramento: An Exploratory Study.: 66.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- Communitywide strategies key to preventing childhood obesity
- Food insecurity may be linked to childhood obesity in low-income Mexican-American families
- Dietary quality is not linked across three generations of black women
- Food insecurity prominent among low-income California Latinos
- Refugees of former Soviet Union slowly adopt U.S. diet