Richard H. Molinar M.S.
550 E. Shaw Avenue, Suite 210-B
Fresno, CA 93710
Small Farm Program
Richard has been a UCCE Farm Advisor since 1986. He spent the first 9 years in Alameda County as a Urban Horticulture Advisor working with small farms, teaching weed identification and control to licensed applicators and PCA's, and coordinating a successful Master Gardener (MG) Program that trained over 350 volunteers. He helped coordinate the first statewide MG conference held in UC Davis July 15-17, 1994. He also produced 60 29-minute television shows aired over public access television while in Alameda County.
Richard moved to UCCE Fresno County in 1995 to run the small farm specialty crop program which was initiated in 1976 by Pedro Ilic. He works with over 1,300 Laotian refugees (860 Hmong, 350 Lowland Lao, 50 mien) to help them better understand agriculture technology in the United States. He has employed a Hmong assistant, Michael Yang, to help him with communication and cultural issues in working with this clientele. He also works with Hispanic, African American, and Caucasian farmers in areas of marketing, regulatory compliance, farm food safety, irrigation, fertilization, pest management and weed control, organic production, and new crops. He worked closely with Manuel Jimenez in the blueberry variety development for the San Joaquin Valley (SJV) 1998-2006. Richard has coordinated a 59-minute Hmong radio broadcast for the SJV for the past thirteen years, collaborating with USDA-RMA and FSA.
Prior to UCCE, Richard was employed for nine years in private industry as a licensed 'pest control adviser' for a private weed control firm in Kern and Orange Counties; was a community college agriculture instructor for six years; and a US Peace Corps volunteer in Honduras for two years, and a alfalfa research assistant. This has been his "Dream Job" for the last 27 years.
- UCCE 1986- present
- Abate-A-Weed Inc. 1980-1986
- Bakersfield Community College 1974-1980
- Leffingwell Chemical Co. 1972-1974
- U.S. Peace Corps 1971-1972
- Cal Poly Crops Unit/Student store 1968-1971
- Waterman-Loomis Alfalfa 1966-1968
- Tom Haller Award
Presented by California Small Farm Conference, http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/newsletters/ANR_Report47241.pdf, 2013
- Lifetime Achievement Award for work with Hmong Farmers
Presented by National Hmong American Farmers org, 2012
- Presentation of a 'Hmong Name' - Vam Meej (hope/prosper of truth)
Presented by Hmong Farmers of Fresno, 2011
- IPM Innovator Award
Presented by California Department Pesticide Regulation, 2006
- Retroactive salary/step increase
Presented by DANR Senior Administrative Council, 2006
- State winner in Excellence for 'Small Farm Program Fresno'
Presented by National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2006
- Leadership Award
Presented by Hmong American Community, 2005
- Regional Communication Award for 'Hmong Radio Broadcasts'
Presented by National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2004
- Retroactive salary/step increase
Presented by DANR Senior Administrative Council, 2001
- Distinguished Service Award - 'Outstanding Outreach'
Presented by UC Cooperative Extension, 2000
- Outstanding Educator
Presented by California Small Farm Conference, 2000
- Service Award for Assisting Hmong Farmers
Presented by Hmong American Community, 1997
- Meritorious Service Award
Presented by Pesticide Applicators Professional Association, 1995
- Distinguished Service Award- 'Outstanding Teaching'
Presented by UC Cooperative Extension, 1991
- State winner - Urban category
Presented by National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 1991
- Outstanding Masters Thesis
Presented by California State University Bakersfield, 1990
- Educator of the Year
Presented by Pesticide Applicators Professional Association, 1988
- UC 'Miller Plant Science Fellowship'
Presented by UC Cooperative Extension, 1988
SpecialtySmall farms, vegetable crops, organic farming, insect/weed management, specialty crops, sugar peas, strawberries, eggplant, squash, Asian vegetables such as basil, lemongrass, green beans, long beans, gailon, bittermelons, refugee farmers, Hmong, Lao, fluent in Spanish
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plant Commodities and Products
- Fruit and Nut Crop
- Vegetable Crops
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Management Systems
- Weeds Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Economics, Markets, and Policy
- Marketing and Distribution Practices
Molinar, Richard H. 2012. Evaluation of central Asian melon varieties in the San Joaquin Valley. J of the American Pomological Society 66(3):122-124.
Molinar, Richard H. 2012. Indigenous Asian specialty vegetables in the Central Valley of California. HortScience 47(7):835-838.
Donaldson, D.R., C. Elmore, B. Fisher, K. Hembree, J. Jordan, A. Lange, R. Molinar, T. Prather, R Vargas. 2002. Tree, Vine, and Soft-Fruit Crops. Principles of Weed Control, Third edition. California Weed Conference Society. Thomson Publications. Fresno, CA pp 404-441.
- A Guide to Spanish Language Sustainable Agriculture...
- California Master Gardener Handbook--2nd Ed
- Chile Pepper Production in California
- Common Purslane: Pest Notes for Home and Landscape
- Crabgrass: Pest Notes for Home and Landscape
- Eggplant Production in California
- Eggplant: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Establishing Integrated Pest Management Policies and...
- Integrated Pest Management for Floriculture and Nurseries
- Pesticides for Specialty Crops
- Principles of Weed Control, 3rd Edition
- Soil Solarization for Gardens and Landscapes: Pest Notes...
- Spotted Spurge: Pest Notes for Home and Landscape
- Summer Squash Production in California
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- San Joaquin Valley blueberries evaluated for quality attributes
- New specialty potato varieties give farmers growing and marketing options
- Biological control of ash whitefly: a success in progress
- New psyllid pest of California pepper tree
ANR Workgroup Associations
- California Communities - Member
- Conservation Tillage - Member
- Floriculture and Nursery - Member
- Integrated Management of Soilborne Pests - Member
- Linking Research & Education in Agricultural & Environmental Biotechnology - Member
- Organic - Member
- Peppers - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Small Farm - Member
- Strawberry - Member
- Vegetable Crop Coordinating Conference (VCCC) - Member
- Weed - Member