Charles G Summers Ph.D.
Entomologist, emeritusKearney Agricultural Research & Extension Center
9240 S. Riverbend Ave.
Parlier, CA 93648
Ph.D., Cornell University, 1970Research Statement
Economic entomology and pest management: biology and ecology of insects attacking field and vegetable crops; pest management of field and vegetable crop insects and the interaction of multiple pest complexes; development of economic injury levels and economic thresholds; insect/plant-virus relationships with emphasis on aphid-borne viruses. Biology, ecology, and management of silverleaf whitefly. Management of aphids, aphid-borne viruses, and whiteflies utilizing reflective plastic mulch.
SpecialtyPest management of field and vegetable crops, biology, ecology and management of aphids, aphids as virus vectors
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- Sudex cover crops can kill and stunt subsequent tomato, lettuce and broccoli transplants through allelopathy
- Russian wheat aphid: natural enemies, resistant wheat offer potential control
- Suction trap reveals 60 wheat aphid species, including Russian wheat aphid
- Low temperature decreases CUF 101 alfalfa resistance to blue alfalfa aphid
- Egyptian alfalfa weevil …population and ecology research
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Conservation Tillage - Member