Mandeep Virk-Baker PhD, MPH, RD
NFCS Advisor Fresno & Madera CountiesExpanded Food Nutrition Education Program, (EFNEP) State Office
Agriculture & Natural Resources
2801 Second Street
Davis, CA 95618-7774
Postdoctoral Postdoctoral Cancer Prevention Fellowship, National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health. 2017
RD Registered Dietitian, Commission on Dietetic Registration. 2014
Graduate Certificate Global Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. 2013
MPH Public Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. 2013
PhD Nutrition Science, University of Alabama at Birmingham. 2012
M.Sc. Food & Nutrition, Panjab University Chandigarh. 2003
B.Sc. Home Science, Panjab University Chandigarh. 2001
- Calle/Rodriguez award for top ranking ASPO Scientific Conference
Presented by American Cancer Society, https://aspo.org/awards, 2016
- Management Bootcamp
Presented by National Institutes of Health, https://www.training.nih.gov/leadership_training, 2015
- Sallie Rosen Kaplan Postdoctoral Fellowship
Presented by National Institutes of Health, https://www.cancer.gov/grants-training/training/at-nci/srk, 2015
- Outstanding Dietetic Intern Award
Presented by Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/leadership/honors-and-awards/affiliate-awards/outstanding-dietetics-student-award, 2014
- Howerde E. Säuberlich Endowed Award for Excellence in Nutrition Science Research
Presented by University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2012
- Postdoctoral Cancer Prevention Fellowship
Presented by National Institutes of Health, https://cpfp.nci.nih.gov/about-us/index.shtml, 2012
- Food & Chemical Safety Epidemiology Fellowship
Presented by International Life Sciences Institute North America, www.ilsina.org, 2010
- Nell I. Mondy Fellowship
Presented by Graduate Women in Science, http://www.gwis.org/?page=past_fellowships, 2010
- Cancer Prevention and Control Training Program Fellowship
Presented by University of Alabama at Birmingham, https://www.uab.edu/cpctp/about, 2008
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Program and Project Design, and Statistics
- Communication, Education, and Information Delivery
- Food Safety
- Ensure Food Products Free of Harmful Chemicals,,, Including Residues From Agricultural and Other Sources
- Protect Food From Contamination By Pathogenic Microorganisms, Parasites, and Naturally Occurring Toxins
- Human Health
- Zoonotic Diseases and Parasites Affecting Humans
- Hazards To Human Health and Safety
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Human Nutrition
- Nutrient Composition of Food
- Requirements and Function of Nutrients and Other Food Components
- Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Nutrition and Hunger in the Population
- Obesity Prevention
- Husain, MJ; Virk-Baker, MK; Parascandola, M; Khondker, BH; Ahluwalia, IB (In Press). Money Gone Up in Smoke: The Tobacco Use and Malnutrition Nexus in Bangladesh. Annals of Global Health.
- Parascandola, M; Virk-Baker, MK. (In Press). Tobacco and Poverty Chapter for the Economics of Tobacco and Tobacco Control, NCI Tobacco Control Monograph Series. NCI & WHO.
- Inoue-Choi, M; Virk-Baker, MK; Aschebrook-Kilfoy, B; Cross, AJ; Subar, AF; Thompson, FE; Sinha, R; and Ward, MH. (2016). Development and calibration of a dietary nitrate and nitrite database in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Public Health Nutr. 2016 Aug;19(11):1934-43.
- Virk-Baker, MK; Parascandola, M (2016). "Dietary Adequacy among Tobacco User Households in Bangladesh." Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention
- Virk-Baker, MK; Parascandola, M (2016). "Dietary adequacy in tobacco-user and non-user households in Bangladesh." The Lancet Global Health
- Virk-Baker, MK; Nagy, TR; Barnes, S; Groopman, J. (2014). Dietary acrylamide and human cancer: a systematic review of literature. Nutr Cancer. 2014;66(5):774-90.
- Virk-Baker, MK; Barnes, S; Krontoras, H; Nagy, TR. (2014). S-(-)equol producing status not associated with breast cancer risk among low isoflavone-consuming US postmenopausal women undergoing a physician-recommended breast biopsy. Nutr Res. 2014 Feb;34(2):116-25.
- Virk-Baker, MK; Martin, MY; Levine, RS; Wang, X (2013). Mammography utilization among Black and White Medicare beneficiaries in high breast cancer mortality US counties. Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Dec;24(12):2187-96.
- Virk-Baker, MK; Barnes, S; Demark-Wahnefried, W. (2011). "Effect of soy isoflavones on breast cancer recurrence and death for patients receiving adjuvant endocrine therapy." Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quaterly 22(2): 184-185.
- Virk-Baker, MK; Nagy, TR; Barnes, S (2010). Role of phytoestrogens in cancer therapy. Planta Med 2010; 76(11): 1132-1142.