Dr Thomas Harter Ph.D.
Cooperative Extension SpecialistHydrology Program
Department of Land, Air, and Water Resources; University of California
125 Veihmeyer Hall
Davis, CA 95616-8628
Thomas Harter received a B.S. in hydrology from the University of Freiburg, Germany and a M.S. in hydrology from the University of Stuttgart, Germany. He received his Ph.D. in hydrology (with emphasis on subsurface hydrology) at the University of Arizona, where he became the 1991 Harshbarger fellow for outstanding research in subsurface flow and transport modeling. In 1995, he joined the faculty at the Department of Land, Air, and Water Resources, University of California, Davis. Harter is in charge of the University of California Cooperative Extension Groundwater Hydrology Program. His research focuses on nonpoint-source pollution of groundwater, groundwater resources evaluation under uncertainty, groundwater modeling, and contaminant transport. Dr. Harter has done extensive modeling of heterogeneous aquifer/vadose zone systems.
SpecialtyFlow and transport processes in groundwater and in the vadoze zone; non-point source pollution of groundwater; groundwater remediation; groundwater resources management; geostatistics; stochastic analysis; numerical modeling.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Groundwater Quality and Groundwater Pollution
- Groundwater Quality Protection: Managing Dairy Manure in...
- Groundwater Sampling and Monitoring
- Water Well Design and Construction
- Watersheds, Groundwater and Drinking Water
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- California's agricultural regions gear up to actively manage groundwater use and protection
- Soil suitability index identifies potential areas for groundwater banking on agricultural lands
- OUTLOOK: Out of sight but not out of mind: California refocuses on groundwater
- Deep vadose zone hydrology demonstrates fate of nitrate in eastern San Joaquin Valley
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Dairy Quality Assurance - Member
- Vegetable Crop Coordinating Conference (VCCC) - Member
- Water Quality - Member
- Youth Science Literacy - Member