- Author: Brooke Jacobs
Carlos H. Crisosto
Director of UC Fruit & Nut Research & Information Center
Department of Plant Sciences
University of California, Davis
Throughout my career I have been publishing the Central Valley Postharvest Newsletter (CVPN) maintained at the UC KARE and the UC Davis Postharvest Center web sites:
The CVPN has been published three times per year and contains important summaries of information on the predominant commodity harvested at that time. I compiled twenty years of CVPN issues, and other pre- and postharvest articles relevant to our fresh fruit growers, packers, shippers and handlers, in a searchable pdf file for distribution to our industry. If you would like an electronic copy please send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am slowly adding new ways to reach my clientele. For example, I plan to publish the CVPN as a blog with the help of the UC Fruit and Nut Research and Information Center (http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/) and UC KARE. Check the FNRIC home page for regular updates and summaries of ongoing research.
Here is a list of websites that I have found to be an excellent source of postharvest information:
- http://www.ba.ars.usda.gov/hb66/index.html - A draft version of the forthcoming revision to USDA Agricultural Handbook 66 (Commercial Storage of Fruits, Vegetables and Florist and Nursery Stocks)
- http://www.fao.org/inpho/ - Postharvest information site of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- http://www.avrdc.org/index.php?id=10 - World Vegetable Center Postharvest Information
- http://www.postharvest.org – Postharvest Education Foundation (training in postharvest technology)
- http://www.avocadosource.com - Production and Handling of Avocado Information
- http://postharvest.ifas.ufl.edu - University of Florida Postharvest Group
- http://flcitrus.ifas.ufl.edu - University of Florida Citrus Resources Website
- http://www.citrusresearch.org – California Citrus Research Board – supported research reports
- http://postharvest.tfrec.wsu.edu - Washington State University postharvest information (emphasis on apple, pear, and cherry)
- http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/postharv/ - North Carolina State University postharvest information
- http://www.postharvest.com.au/ - Sydney Postharvest Laboratory information
- http://www.chainoflifenetwork.org/ - Chain of Life Network® website about requirements for flowers and ornamentals.