- Author: Ryan Murphy
2015 promises to be a dynamic and challenging year for California agriculture. While we've had some rain, the drought is still at the front of everyone's minds, and new nutrient management regulations are becoming a reality for many. To succeed in these conditions, California growers will have to continue to grow the crops that feed California and the world with less water and a careful attention to nutrient applications, all in a climate that seems to serve up one curve ball after another.
A small army of scientists, farm advisors, extension specialists and others are working hard on nutrient management research. California's farmers are also experimenting with new technologies, finding their own innovative solutions to nutrient management issues. There is a lot of great research out there that can help farmers grow crops sustainably and many examples of growers using best practices to conserve water and nutrients, and decrease the impact of agriculture on the climate. However, there is also a need to sift through the mountains of available information to highlight the resources that are most relevant to California agriculture, and to help strengthen the link between the work researchers do and the challenges agricultural practitioners face in their fields.
That's where the Solution Center for Nutrient Management comes in. The following explains what the Solution Center is, what this blog will do and how you can get involved:
What is the Solution Center for Nutrient Management?
The Solution Center for Nutrient Management (SCNM) was created by UC SAREP to increase access to California specific agricultural nutrient management resources and serve as a platform for conversation on important nutrient management issues. The broad goal for the SCNM is to provide resources and knowledge sharing tools that support the CA agricultural community in minimizing adverse environmental impacts of agriculture while maximizing efficiency and economic gain.
To do this, the SCNM is developing the following approaches:
- An online information portal with case studies on innovators in agricultural nutrient management, a database summarizing California nutrient management research, and content on nutrient management principles, best practices and regulations.
- Online discussion forums to focus conversations on key nutrient management issues, in partnership with FarmsReach and Sustainable Conservation.
- In person field days bringing current research on nutrient management and greenhouse gas emissions to the California agricultural community and providing the opportunity for feedback from practitioners. Click here for an events schedule
Check out the solution center website here, and stay tuned for frequent updates!
What can you expect to find on this blog?
This blog will get the word out about updates to the Solution Center website, outreach and education events we are working on, and new California nutrient management research. It's also one place to share your ideas and comments on the content we develop and the nutrient management issues that you're thinking about.
How can you get involved?
- Comment on this blog with suggestions for nutrient information issues you would like to know more about.
- Join our mailing list here or check back frequently to hear about new features of the Solution Center Website, upcoming online forums and field days.
- Send us an email with your thoughts and suggestions!