- Author: Tammy Majcherek
PITAHAYA SEMINAR AND FIELD DAY
This year's Pitahaya Seminar will be held on August 21, 2015
in San Marcos, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
TOPICS COVERED (subject to change):
- Pest and Regulatory Updates for San Diego County
- Pitahaya Production and Research Update
- Pitahaya Orchard Establishment, Economics and Marketing Considerations
- Genetic Characterization of Pitahaya or Dragon Fruit
- Pitahaya or Dragon Fruit Post Harvest Management and Sensory Evaluation
- Nematode Management in pitahaya/Dragon Fruit
- Insect Pest Management for Pitahayas /Dragon Fruit
- Diseases and Disease Management of Pitahaya or Dragon Fruit
- Integrated Pest Management of Pitahaya/Dragon Fruit
- Understanding Soil, Water and Leaf Analysis to Optimize Crop Production
- Fertility Management in Pitahaya / Dragon Fruit
- Marketing and Market Development using the Internet
- Is Pitahaya Production Feasible? Does it Pay to Hand Pollinate? Review of Tools to Conduct this Analysis
The Pitahaya Field Day will be held on August 22, 2015 in Irvine
at the South Coast Research and Extension Center, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Program (subject to change):
- Overview of Pitahaya Production and Review of Varieties for California
- Weed Identification and Weed Control Clinic
- Vertebrate Pest (Gophers, Ground Squirrels, Voles and Coyotes) Management and Control Demo
- Pitahaya Irrigation Research Trial and Irrigation System Design Considerations
- Pitahaya Diseases and Disease Management
- Integrated Pest Management for Pitahaya / Dragon Fruit Production
- Pitahaya Pruning and Trellis Demonstration
- Pitahaya Fruit Display, Pitahaya Fruit and Ice Cream Tasting and Sensory Evaluation
- Pitahaya Grafting and Pollination Demonstrations
- Hands on Computer Lab to Analyze the Feasibility of Pitahaya Production, the Cost/Benefit of Hand Pollination and Review of other tools to Analyze and manage Risks.
Registration Fee: Package Registration for both theSeminar & Festival/Field Day is $80.00 per person,if postmarked or submitted online by Friday August 14th. No package registration after this date.
Registration for the Seminar - $60.00 per person.
Registration for the Festival/Field Day - $40.00 per person.
The registration fee includes continental breakfast, refreshments, lunch, pitahaya fruit & ice cream
tasting, handout materials, and five pitahaya cuttings of your choice.
REGISTER EARLY, This event has sold out in the past!! Register online at
complete and mail the registration form
along with your check payable to UC Regents to the address below:
UCCE San Diego
Attn: Pitahaya Field Day
9335 Hazard Way, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92123
PLEASE NOTE: If space allows for walk-ins, you must have exact change or checks.
Please contact Roland Hills at (858)822-7711 for more information about the program or to request any special accommodations you may need.