- Posted By: Myriam Grajales-Hall
- Written by: Social Media Spanish
According to Social Media Español, today there are approximately 8.1 million US Hispanics on Twitter. Of that amount 31 percent or 2.5 million Hispanics prefer Spanish and would be encouraged to follow a Twitter profile providing Spanish content. Forty-four percent or 3.6 million US Latinos favor English and are more likely to follow a Twitter profile that is providing stories and media in English. And 25 percent of US Hispanics (2.0 million) are bilingual and would be happy to follow a Twitter profile content in either language or Spanglish.
Which Language do Hispanics prefer when following Twitter?
Hispanics preferring Spanish would likely prefer to follow pages offering daily content in Spanish such as the CDC Espanol Twitter profile. Hispanics that typically converse with family, friends, and colleagues in English are likely to prefer English language Twitter profiles. A good example of Twitter profiles catering to English preferring Hispanics is Being Latino as well as Tampico. Many brands are targeting the bilingual Hispanic. A couple of good examples of brands doing this include the Mi Pepsi Twitter campaign and the Sears Latino profile.
Total US Twitter users = 74MM (37 percent). Twitter states that 37% of its users are from within the US.
- Total US Hispanic Twitter Users = 8.1MM (11 percent).
- Spanish Dominant US Hispanics = 2.5MM (31 percent). Combines Latin Americans and all Spanish favoring Hispanics in the US.
- English Dominant US Hispanics = 3.6MM (44 percent). Includes 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanics and all other English favoring Hispanics.
- Bilingual US Hispanics = 2.0MM (25 percent). The large portion of Hispanics whom are comfortable with either language.
Source: Social Media Spanish, How many US Hispanics on Twitter by Eric Diaz, August 3, 2011.