It’s summertime, which means I am one happy camper. No really - it’s nice and warm, let's go camping! I find most people hate summer: the heat, the AC bill, the kids are out of school and they’re “sooooooooooo… bored.”
Well I’m a summer baby, and I’m here to help you survive the heat wave with healthy recipes and family cooking tips.
- Make a summer salad. Layer chopped cucumber, tomatoes and green beans and top with lettuce and your favorite dressing.
- Cut back on the calories in your dessert by eating fresh fruit instead.
- Search for refreshing, in-season recipes on MyPlate’s Pinterest page.
Summer means the kids are home and they are bored! So let’s get them in the kitchen and cooking. Here are some tips on how to get your little ones involved.
- Give them a choice of healthy recipes. Allowing them to choose means they will be more likely to participate in creating a healthy meal.
- Play with your food! Use a banana, strawberries, peanut butter and pretzels and create a creature or fun face.
- Make fruit pops with the kids. Simply blend up fresh berries, melon or stone fruit and freeze it in an ice cube tray with sticks. You can also use this fruit blend as ice cubes to flavor your water.