- Author: Guy B Kyser
Was happy to hear a Cap Public Radio story this morning about poison hemlock (Conium maculatum). I had some thoughts on the report.
1) Poison hemlock is not native to Nevada, as the story suggested... it's a European weed (think Socrates). Maybe the writers heard "naturalized".
2) People don't normally get violently ill just from touching poison hemlock. (I wouldn't roll around in it, though, and I would wash hands after touching it.)
3) Emphasize, emphasize, emphasize the purple spots on the stem! (Hence "maculatum".) That's how you can...
- Author: Micheal Finnell
- Editor: Guy B Kyser
Micheal Finnell is an Environmental / GIS Assistant with California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways.
To provide quantitative metrics of herbicide treatment efficacy for the Division of Boating and Waterways' Submersed Aquatic Vegetation (SAV) Program
- Apply consumer-grade echosounders to map SAV in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta
- Process sonar files using Biobase, an online GIS algorithm
- Generate SAV geo-spatial products and change detection using the SAV Efficacy Tool
- Conduct qualitative Biobase accuracy assessment
Submersed aquatic vegetation...
- Posted by: Gale Perez
The Western IPM Center's May 2017 newsletter just came out.
The IPM VIDEO OF THE MONTH is on a robotic herbicide sprayer that targets weeds.
- Author: Gale Perez
April 26, 2017
Contact: Pam Kan-Rice, (510) 206-3476, firstname.lastname@example.org
Three agriculture scholarships offered by UC ANR
Three scholarships are being offered to college students majoring in agriculture by the University of California's Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. The scholarships will be awarded for the fall 2017 semester or quarter. The deadline to apply or nominate for the scholarships is May 19, 2017.
KNOWLES A. RYERSON AWARD IN AGRICULTURE
Amount: $2500 – two awarded each year, one each...
From the UC Rice Blog ι April 25, 2017
BUTTE®, a rice herbicide, has received federal registration in the USA and will be available to California rice growers for the upcoming 2017 season. Gowan Company, along with SDS Biotech and Nissan have collaborated to bring this product to California rice growers.
BUTTE® is a granular into-the-water herbicide that combines two modes of action: an HPPD-inhibitor (benzobicyclon), and an ALS-inhibitor (halosulfuron). It is the first HPPD-inhibitor available to California rice growers. Since weeds in CA rice have widespread herbicide resistance,...