Prior to his work in Anaheim, Schwerner, was the director of the Chicago Park District’s multidisciplinary Department of Cultural and Natural Resources, where he spearheaded the Park District’s initiatives to forge bold, inclusive connections between the arts and Chicago’s neighborhoods by increasing arts presence - in all its permutations - throughout Chicago’s parks.
Since 2005, as Director of the Department of Natural Resources, Mr. Schwerner orchestrated the overhaul of landscape management operations for the Park District’s 8,300 acres of parkland and transformed the Park District’s two major conservatories into internationally acclaimed facilities. He frequently gives presentations to national and international audiences on topics including contemporary public garden design and the integration of art into public parks and gardens.
Date: Aug. 23, 2017
Time: 12:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Description: Welcome plenary
- Director of Horticulture and Resort Enhancement for the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif.
- Oversees all the horticultural operations and holiday overlays at the Anaheim Resort.
- Former Director of the Chicago Park District’s multidisciplinary Department of Cultural and Natural Resources.
- Increased arts presence in Chicago’s neighborhoods throughout Chicago’s parks.
- Past President of the Chicago Parks Foundation
- Founder of the Lincoln Park Conservatory Council
- Former member of the Chicago Wilderness Executive Committee
- Previously the Chicago Park District liaison to Chicago’s seven world-class museums and Lincoln Park Zoo.
- Served as a board member and co-chair of the APGA Program Committee and as a member of the Chicago and California APGA Conference Host Committee.
- Degree in ornamental horticulture from Rutgers University.
- Spent 12 years working at the New York Botanical Garden in NY prior to relocating to Chicago.
- Served as the Chicago Park District’s Deputy Director of Conservatories.