Dr. Allan Armitage
Dr. A can even be found on YouTube discussing everything from soil, edibles, new plant varieties, identifying plants, sharing test plants and of course wearing his distinctive hat. Dr. A’s charming personality and love of all things horticulture is infectious and is sure to be a highlight of the conference. Attendees will be able to purchase a selection of Dr. A’s 14 books onsite throughout the conference. Book signings are scheduled for various authors throughout the conference so be sure to make time to get Dr. A’s autograph!
In 2012, he was honored with the highest award from the American Horticulture Society – the Liberty Hyde Bailey Award – for lifelong achievements in horticulture. He also served as an advisor for the Garden Book Club of America and has consulted for Scholastic Books, publisher of the Magic School Bus series of science books for children. In 2014, he was presented with the Hutchinson Medal of the Chicago Botanical Garden and the Medallion of Honor from the All America Society, both huge prestigious awards. He was awarded the American Dahlia Society’s Silver Medallion for contributions to the American Dahlia Society in 2015.
Date: Aug. 23, 2017
Time: 12:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Description: Welcome plenary
- Written over 70 academic papers, 500 industry papers.
- Written 14 books that serve as classroom texts, reference books and gardeners’ companions. His newest book “It’s Not Just About The Hat” describes his journey from a boy in Canada to a internationally known horticulturist.
- Teaches two online courses (“for the world”) on Perennials.
- Has written an App for smartphones and tablets “Armitage’s Greatest Perennials & Annuals” that serves as a bridge between industry and consumer.
- Has written a monthly column for a national greenhouse publication, “Greenhouse Grower”, for over 30 years. No column has ever been repeated.
- Consults with successful companies on selection and marketing of herbaceous plants and horticultural products.
- Holds academic degrees from McGill University, Canada, University of Guelph, Canada and Michigan State University, USA.
- His company, Garden Vistas, has organized tours to the Great Gardens of the World every year for over 25 years.
- His photos have been published widely in books, and are sold online for use on labels, benchtags or books.
- Introduced over 20 plants to the gardening community, including Verbena “Homestead Purple’ and ‘Margarita’ ornamental sweet potato.
- Conducted research in New Crop Introduction and Evaluation, and Environmental Physiology.
- Developed and maintained The Trial Gardens at UGA where new plants from breeders throughout the world were evaluated for heat and humidity performance.
- He has visited research and production centers throughout the world and studies annuals, perennials, cut flowers and greenhouse crops in various climates.
- Received many, many awards for teaching, writing and research.