The following are links not affiliated with or recommended by UCCE.
AgShift app for diversified farmers to help improve profits, record keeping and help with meeting requirements for certification programs. UCCE Sonoma County is a collaborator.
CDFA Feed & Livestock Drugs Inspection Program if you are interested in making commercial feed for livestock, you need to obtain a Commercial Feed License. For additional information, contact their office at 916-900-5022 or the inspectors at 209-649-3682 or 209-403-2481.
Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) North Coast Region provides growers and buyers assistance in sales and marketing and works with GoLocal on branding Sonoma County agriculture. CAFF now offers food safety services, too.
CropMobster(tm) a way for farmers with excess produce to connect with consumers.
Crop Reports annual Sonoma County Crop Report by the Agricultural Commissioner office; includes annual reports dating back to 1928!
Farm-Based Education Network a free member network established to strengthen and support the work of educators, farmers, and community leaders providing access and experiences of all kinds on productive working farms.
Farm Commons webinars, legal resources and advice for farmers.
California FarmLink is a nonprofit organization that provides farmers with the tools they need to lease and purchase land, access capital, and improve business planning.
- UV Extension How to Determine the Right Farm Rental Rate developed to support both farmers and landowners through the process of determining a fair cash rental rate for farmland, equipment and infrastructure in Vermont. The same methods might apply to other parts of the U.S.
farmsReach an online community: Connect with other farmers. Access tools & services to save you time & money. Find input suppliers & compare prices.
- farmsReach Women in Agriculture Toolkit
FarmShorts learn about farming locally from local farmers. FarmShorts is a shared benefit web video initiative to raise funds to create short films for local sustainable farms.
Farmer Veteran Coalition is a national nonprofit organization that assists military veterans embarking on careers in agriculture. Click "Contact Us" in upper right corner of site to get started.
Sonoma County BEST Food Industry Group a group of natural and specialty food manufacturers in the North Bay who collaborate on industry issues and leverage the knowledge of the group as a whole to overcome problems.
- Registration: in California, registration is required for all entities that raise, grow, store, transport and sell organic products. Department of Food & Ag and Department of Public Health oversee these programs:
CDFA Organic Registration is required of every entity engaged in production or handling of raw organic products. This includes diary and meat except for processed dairy and meat products.
CDPH Organic Registration is required for every entity engaged in processing or handling of processed products, pet food, cosmetics, alcoholic beverages, fish and seafood.
- Certification: If gross sales of organic product exceeds $5,000 or if the business wants to use the USDA Organic seal, they must obtain organic certification from an approved third party certifier, also found on USDA Ag Marketing Service Certifier Locator.
- Non-GMO Requirements under the National Organic Program by Organic Trade.
- OMRI current information about products and materials allowed for organic use.
Sonoma County Right to Farm Ordinance.
USDA Census of Agriculture is the leading source of facts and figures about American Agriculture and is conducted every five years.
USDA National Ag Statistics Service provides timely, accurate, and useful statistics in service to U.S. agriculture. Use Quick Stats to drill down to the statistic you need. Note, this is voluntary information.
Example: to find pastureland rental rates, click on (skip the first 3 options) Commodity=Rent, Category=Expanse, Data Item=Rent, Cash, Pastureland..., Geographic Level=County, State=CA, County=Sonoma or Region=Central Coast (to get more results), Year=select if you want to narrow the results then click on Get Data (lower left corner).