Nutirition, Family and Consumer Sciences (NFCS)
NFCS Program at UC Cooperative Extension in Riverside County connects the people of Riverside County with research and resources from the University of California.
NFCS Program is working to address two UC ANR Strategic Vision 2025 Initiatives:
1) Healthy Families and Communities
- Promoting healthy behaviors for childhood obesity prevention
- Helping consumers make informed decision regarding food choices, nutrition and health
- Improving consumers' food management skills
2) Ensure Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Educating community organizations and consumers on safe food handling practices
USDA now has a new Web Site www.chooseMyPlate.gov to communicate key messages from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. MyPlate reminds consumers what their plate should look like when they sit down to have a meal. The key messages are:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make at least half your grains whole grains
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk
Enjoy your food, but eat less. Balance your calories with physical activity.