WCMER Policy Workshop and National Urban Extension Leaders Meeting
These meetings were held December 1-4, 2015
Downtown Sacramento, California
These events were offered by UC ANR in collaboration with the Western Center for Metropolitan Extension and Research. Below is information on what took place at these meetings.
December 1, 9-4:30
December 2, 9-noon and 1-4:30 PM optional Applied Skills Building
Who attended: This workshop was geared for Cooperative Extension professionals working in metropolitan communities.
Desired Outcomes: By the end of this workshop participants were able to
- Understand the relevant role of extension professionals to influence policy
- Increase your understanding of how government systems are organized and how policy is made at the local, regional and state levels
- Gain a deeper understanding of what and how “policy tools” inform policy makers
- Learn about the relationship between programs and policy and how policy impacts system change
- Network with colleagues who share your interest in working at the policy level
Contact Brad Gaolach for more information about how your institution can join the WCMER.
The purpose of the National Urban Extension Leaders (NUEL) organization was to advance the strategic importance and long term value of urban extension activities. Over 20 states have representation in NUEL. For more information about NUEL, check out their web page: http://nuelaction.org.
December 2, 1-4:30
December 3, 9-4:30
December 4, 9-noon
Any Extension professional working in or responsible for urban or metropolitan communities that support the Organization’s purpose of working at the policy level.
1. Review and adopt Operating Procedures. Devise action plan to implement
2. Discussion of NUEL Report “A National Framework for Urban Extension”
3. Review Marketing and Communications activities
4. Receive Action Goal committee reports
5. Devise process for organizing 2018 National Urban Extension Conference
6. Discuss manner in which we recruit/attract persons to NUEL