Water Quality, Quantity and Security
Water is the life blood of California's economy. As such, water supply and its quality are critical issues facing the state's agricultural, urban, and environmental systems over the next 20 years and beyond. Several issues are paramount:
- The supply of water will be limited for all users.
- Competition for water will intensify among agricultural, urban, and environmental users, with water being transferred from agriculture to the latter two groups.
- Short- and long-term climate trends will exacerbate the problems associated with water availability.
- Degradation of water quality will become more important as a major public issue.
- Legal and regulatory decisions will have significant impacts on water use and quality among all sectors.