UC ANR Recognized Support Groups
1. What is a recognized Support Group?
A support group is any group,organization, foundation, or association other than a Campus Alumni Association or Campus Foundation:
(1) whose primary purpose is to provide assistance through fundraising, public outreach, and other activities in support of the University's mission; or
(2) whose representatives or activities make the entity indistinguishable from the University itself; or
(3) that acts as an agent of or intermediary for the University.
Support groups typically operate in affiliation or collaboration with the University to raise gift funds and/or to provide public support for the teaching, research, patient care, and public service programs of the University. These groups may be structured as unincorporated organizations and advisory groups.
2. Benefits of being a recognized Support Group
A support group that has received official recognition from the University is authorized to use the name of the University, of a specific campus, or of an institutional unit.
Additionally, each campus may permit a support group to use space, equipment, and staff resources in the performance of its recognized support activities. An organization must have official recognition for the following:
(1) to represent itself as raising funds or otherwise providing support on behalf of, or for the benefit of, the University, a campus or an institutional unit thereof;
(2) to use the name of the University, a campus or an institutional unit either expressly or by implication in connection with its activities; or
(3) to use University facilities, equipment, or personnel in connection with its activities; and
(4) Access to Insurance for certain UC sanctioned events
3. Expectations of Support Groups
As a public trust and the beneficiary of the funds raised, the University is obligated to require that the funds raised by such entities be adequately controlled and properly expended in the same manner as if the funds were raised by the University itself
The assets of each such entity must be irrevocably dedicated for the benefit of the University of California or one of its campuses.
Follow the appropriate Administrative Guidelines
4. How to become a recognized Support Group
Support Group, Campus Foundation, or Alumni Association must receive official and continued recognition from the County Director or Program Director.
Fill out the Support Group form and submit all required documentation
Fill out, vote on and sign The Board of Directors Agreement
Repeat these steps each fiscal year in June
5. Link to Recognition Database
6. Campus Connexions Event Registration
Campus Connexions provides an option for vendors or other affiliates to purchase insurance that meets the requirements for doing business with the University of California.
Currently, ANR is using the UC Davis portal to access Campus Connexions at the following link: http://ucd.marshcampusconnexions.com/
7. Support Group Administrative Guidelines
Link to Administrative Handbook: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/6000596/SupportGroups
Link to Regents Policy 5203: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/5203.html
Board of Directors' Agreement The Board of Directors Agreement