Posts Tagged: awards
Nominations are open for the 2012 Pedro Ilic Awards, which honor an outstanding farmer and an agricultural educator who are dedicated to small-scale farming.
The deadline for nominations is Jan. 31.
The awards are named for Fresno County farm advisor Pedro Ilic, whose untimely death in 1994 prompted the UC Small Farm Program to annually honor those who carry out his legacy of personal commitment to small-scale farming. Ilic was one of the original advisors when the Small Farm Program was established in 1979.
Each honoree is chosen because he or she
- envisions what can be done and has the imagination, energy and intellect to translate that vision into a successful activity
- is part of the solution, not of the problem; critical in thinking, but constructive in approach
- is an advocate and risk taker
- is an effective teacher, instills self-esteem in others and constantly encourages others
- is a dedicated professional who believes in his or her work
- has determination, exuberance, high energy and genuine friendliness for all people, with the conviction that the smallest is as important as the biggest
- has high personal and family values
The nomination form is available online at http://ucanr.org/ilic-award.
The awards will be presented at the California Small Farm Conference, March 4-6 in Valencia.