EPA Source Reduction Assistance Grant Program (SNE)
Date: August 23, 2018
Time: All Day
Contact: Vanity Campbell
Sponsor: Contracts and Grants
Funding Opportunity Number: USDA-NIFA-AFRI-0066 EPA-HQ-OPPT-2018-002
Funding Organization's Deadline: August 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM PST
Discipline/Subject Area: Pollution prevention
ANR Priority Area(s): SNE
Funding Available($): $260,000
Description: The EPA is announcing a grant competition to fund two-year Source Reduction Assistance (SRA) agreements that support source reduction approaches (also known as “pollution prevention” and herein referred to as “P2”). P2 means reducing or eliminating pollutants from entering any waste stream or otherwise released into the environment prior to recycling, treatment, or disposal. EPA is interested in receiving proposals that:
1. Offer practical pollution prevention (P2) tools or approaches to measurably improve the environmental footprints of state agencies, federally-recognized tribes, intertribal consortia, businesses, municipal/local governments and/or local communities while also supporting efficiency to reduce resource use, expenditures, waste and liability costs.
2. Adhere to the statutory authorities for this program by using one or more of these technical assistance methods: a) research, b) investigation, c) experiments, d) education, e) training, f) studies and/or g) demonstration of innovative techniques – to carry out source reduction/P2 activities.
3. Place additional emphasis on documenting and sharing P2 best practices and innovations identified and developed through these grants so that others can replicate these approaches and outcomes. Therefore, in general, grant recipients must document and report on the P2 recommendations where they are provided to a technical assistance beneficiary (e.g., state agencies, federally-recognized tribes, intertribal consortia, business, facility, municipal/local governments, and/or local communities that received the technical assistance) and, at a later date, report on P2 actions adopted by the technical assistance beneficiary (alternative reporting provisions are available, if technical assistance is broadly provided).
4. Focus project activities on one or more of the P2 Program’s National Emphasis Areas: Business-Based Pollution Prevention Solutions Supporting Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Priorities and Chemical Safety; Food and Beverage Manufacturing and Processing; and, Hazardous Materials Source Reduction Approaches in States or Communities.
How Does EPA Define P2? Pollution prevention, also called "source reduction," is any practice which reduces the amount of any hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant entering any waste stream or otherwise released into the environment (including fugitive emissions) prior to recycling of discarded material, treatment, or disposal; and reduces the hazards to public health and the environment associated with the release of those substances, pollutants, or contaminants. P2 practices include equipment or technology modifications, process or procedure modifications, reformulation or redesign of products, substitution of raw materials, and improvements in housekeeping, maintenance, training, or inventory control. EPA has also interpreted P2 as including practices that increase efficient use of water, energy, raw materials, or other resources, or that may protect natural resources through conservation methods. Reducing the amount of pollution in the environment means producing less waste to control, treat, or dispose. Less pollution means fewer hazards posed to public health and the environment.
Applicants must choose one or more of the NEA topic areas described below as the focus of their SRA grant proposals. Applicants must also identify in their proposals which region the project will be performed in.
- NEA #1: Business-Based Pollution Prevention Solutions Supporting Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Priorities and Chemical Safety
- NEA #2: Food and Beverage Manufacturing and Processing
- NEA #3: Hazardous Materials Source Reduction Approaches in States or Communities
Note: California is in EPA Region 9.
Match Requirement: SRA grant recipients, as required by the P2
Program, must provide at least a 5 percent match of the total allowable project cost. For example, the federal government will provide 95 percent of the total allowable project cost and the recipient will provide the remaining 5 percent. To further illustrate, if the total project cost is $80,000, in order to meet the 5% cost share/match requirement, the applicant must be able to provide $4,000 in cash or in-kind contributions in order to be eligible to receive $76,000 in federal grant funding from EPA.
OCG Note: Please note any changes to the funding opportunity including deadline dates may not be updated to this calendar. Please visit the Sponsor's website below for additional information.