UCPath is the University of California’s priority program, with the goal to implement a single payroll, benefits, human resources and academic personnel solution for all UC employees.
As the largest administrative project in UC history, UCPath will:
- Standardize payroll and HR processes systemwide
- Centralize certain HR/APO and payroll transactional processes within the UCPath shared service center
- Replace UC’s 35-year old Payroll/Personnel System (PPS) with a single new payroll and HR technology system
UCPATH is an acronym for “UC Payroll, Academic Personnel, Timekeeping* & Human Resources.”
*Timekeeping is still under consideration for a later phase. The focus of the current phase is Payroll, Benefits, Absence Management, Compensation and Workforce Administration.
The University of California’s current HR/payroll processes and tools are outdated:
- UC’s Personnel/Payroll System (PPS) is 35 years old and difficult to use, with 11 versions each with differing data definitions and policies, applied differently by each UC location
- UC employees perform significant amount of manual calculations, workarounds, corrections, and paper processing to run payroll and manage HR for UC faculty and staff
- UC’s current processes and technology are not able to meet the needs of its complex and diverse employee population
UC Regents, President, Leaders, Chancellors, Controllers, Campus HR Officers, and Academic Personnel Directors:
- Recommended replacing PPS with a single, integrated, UC-wide HR/payroll solution
- Agreed to work towards conforming business practices
- Committed themselves to systemwide representation
About the UCPath Center
The UCPath Center is the shared service center that will process routine transactions related to payroll, benefits, leave management and workforce administration for UC’s ten campuses and five medical centers. The UCPath Center is located in Riverside.
UCPath Center Functions
The UCPath Center will support the most common transactional services that most easily lend themselves to standardization and centralization, which includes the following functions:
- Benefits administration
- Leave Management
- Workforce Administration
The documents below are additional UCPath resources that provide background information of the project and clearly define the project-based terminology, abbreviations and other useful items.