Area CE Advisor - Forestry/Fire Science and Natural Resources
Date Posted: February 28, 2017
Closing Date: May 8, 2017
For instructions on application procedures and materials required, please click the above 'Job Description' link.
This position is headquartered in Yuba City, Sutter County, California.
The Area Cooperative Extension (CE) advisor for Forestry /Fire Science and Natural Resources will conduct a locally-based extension, education and applied research program to address high priority issues with a focus on forest fuels accumulation that has increased high-severity wildfires that threaten forests and communities; promoting community wildfire resilience; and sustainable forest management on both private and public land. Major Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement effective UC ANR Cooperative Extension applied research and educational programs to address the identified priority needs of the clientele that are consistent with ANR’s Strategic Vision and ANR initiatives http://ucanr.edu/sites/StrategicInitiatives/
- Conduct and report regular comprehensive needs assessments to identify priority issues or problems relevant to the local clientele groups being served.
- Disseminate useful, science-based information to inform clientele, using extension methods that are responsive to clientele needs and appropriate for the audience and situation.
- Develop collaborative teams with other UC ANR academics, including CE specialists, AES faculty, CE advisors and/or others, to address priority issues for UC ANR.
- A minimum of a master's degree, though other advanced degrees are encouraged, in disciplines of forestry/fire science, wildfire ecology, wood and fiber science or other closely related fields;
- excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills;
- the ability to build partnerships and to work with multidisciplinary teams to address production and environmental challenges;
- to become a California Registered Professional Forester within six years of date of hire, the relevant link for which is: http://www.bof.fire.ca.gov/professional_foresters_registration/
- Experience in applied research and extension is preferred.
Beginning salary will be in the Cooperative Extension Assistant Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding Cooperative Extension Advisor salary scales, please refer to the University of California website: http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/250093.pdf.