Butte County Master Gardeners
University of California
Butte County Master Gardeners


Got Gardening Questions?

Visit or call the Hotline
Wednesday 9am-12pm
Thursday 1-4pm

Call: 530-538-7201

Or drop by: The Butte County Cooperative Extension Office
2279-B Del Oro Avenue
Oroville, CA 95965

You can also catch us in person at local farmers markets or at one of our information booths. Check out where we'll be on the Events page.

Help Us Help You

You never can tell what's at the root of the problem. Below are some questions we may ask when you call:

  • Name of plant
  • Age of plant
  • Soil type (loam, sandy, clay)
  • Current watering methods (drip, sprinkler, hand)
  • Frequency of watering
  • Sun exposure
  • Evidence of insects or other damage – check on both sides of leaves
  • Recent changes that may effect the plant (watering, fertilizing)

Samples and photos related to your question are strongly encouraged. Drop them by the office any time, or email them to:
In the subject put: Attention Master Gardeners

Include a description of the problem.

What’s Hot Now?


Prevent Frost Damage to Succulents by Brent McGhie

frost damage on oranges

Q: How can frost damage to succulents be prevented?

AYou may want to keep your succulents in pots so you can move them indoors or to a sheltered location when freezing temperatures are in the forecast. Unlike other plants, succulents should be kept on the dry side during cold weather. When plant cells are filled with water, they are more likely to burst if the water freezes.  Plants can also be covered with sheets, drop cloths, blankets, or plastic. Use stakes or cages to keep material from touching the plants.

For more information see How to protect plants from frost.


Webmaster Email: support@chicodesigns.com