Tools for Community Leaders
The links below can be used by a variety of decision-makers -- government agencies, planners, firefighters -- to better understand community-level wildfire issues. Search interactive maps to learn more about wildfire risk in your community, and explore a science-based, parcel-level wildfire hazard assessment and ranking approach.
- Community Wildfire Hazard Assessment and Ranking
- Learn more about the process of completing a community-wide hazard assessment, download forms, and see an example of how to communicate with your community via a simple web-based map.
- Individual community members can also be pointed to the interactive Homeowner Wildfire Assessment or Evaluación de riesgos de incendios para propietarios de vivienda to complete a self-assessment of their property (a brochure explaining the features of the toolkit available to individual homeowners can be downloaded here (.pdf).
- Builder's Wildfire Mitigation Guide
- Review a comprehensive guide to building in fire-prone areas.
- After-wildfire Resources
Links to Other Resources
- Center for Fire Research and Outreach
- California Fire Alliance Active Fire Mapper
- Firewise Communities
- US Fire Administration
- National Interagency Fire Center
- Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy
- GeoMAC Wildland Fire Support
- Bureau of Land Management Office of Fire and Aviation
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Fire Management
- National Park Service Fire Management Program
- California Fire Alliance
- California Office of the State Fire Marshal
- California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
- Maps from MODIS
- Wildfire News