Making a Difference
The Let’s Eat Healthy! Program has been in Placer and Nevada Counties schools since the fall of 2001. Over the past 12 years a UC CalFresh Community Education Specialist has taught nutrition lessons and provided research-based hands-on curriculum to qualifying schools in Placer and Nevada Counties. During the 2010-2011 school year thirteen elementary schools and 22 Preschools will be participating in the program.
Each classroom receives an introductory lesson at the beginning of the school year and a review lesson in the form of a game in the spring. Many fifth-grade students have received lessons since they started preschool!
What teachers say about the Let’s Eat Healthy! Program:
• I integrate the program whenever I can.
• This program has made students aware of why we encourage healthy food choices.
• Students love the lessons.
• The program continues to be outstanding.
• This program supports our nutrition unit and physical activity program.
Teachers tell us how they have made nutrition a part of their teaching day:
• I make sure to incorporate nutrition into other subject areas.
• Every week I have a lunch bunch. I bring fruits and vegetables to share.
• We now all wash our hands before snacks and lunch.
• The food bank donates food and we analyze it before eating.
• We make healthy choices for our party treats.
• I remind my students to make healthy choices at snack and lunch time.
By working together with the schools, Let’s Eat Healthy! is making a difference. As one teacher said, “My students and I love this program! Having the “Nutrition Lady” launch the program is encouraging. Having her come back ensures that I follow through with the lessons. We are all making better choices.” Another said, “It’s easier to talk about healthy food because we have a common language.”