Why We Do What We Do
We work in partnership with farmers and ranchers to build and strengthen the local food systems in Placer and Nevada Counties. We are dedicated to supporting the local agricultural community and to helping it grow and thrive through a variety of educational and community-building programs.
Our goal is to improve long-term sustainability and economic viability of small-scale farms and ranches in the foothills. We provide innovative, practical training in four areas: production, marketing, risk, and business management.
UC Cooperative Extension offers programs to build skills and knowledge, fosters networking, and provides mentoring to new farmers. We invite you to explore the Foothill Farming web site to learn more about our programs and workshops. For more information on production of specific crops, use the links on the bar above and select the appropriate crop from the drop-down list.
Horticulture and Small Farms Advisor
Cindy Fake is the Horticulture and Small Farms Advisor in Placer and Nevada Counties.
The Horticulture and Small Farms Advisor:
- assists new farmers in evaluating production sites and new crop opportunities, and in developing production experience.
- works with established farmers to improve production practices for quality produce.
- provides information and assistance to growers in implementing Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices.
- works with grower associations to develop sound business plans and effective marketing strategies.
- promotes sustainable agriculture that protects the environment, contributes to the economic viability of small farmers and preserves farmland.
- conducts farm calls to evaluate specific opportunities or problems.
- works with University of California specialists to provide reliable research-based information for agricultural producers.
For more information on production of specific crops, use the links on the bar above and select the appropriate crop from the drop-down list.
For Commercial Growers or those considering commercial crop production: please call Cindy Fake at 530.889.7385 or e-mail email@example.com for further information or assistance.
For assistance with home (non-commercial) gardens, vineyards, and orchards, please contact the UCCE Master Gardeners. In Placer County call 530. 889-7388; in Nevada County call 530.273.0919.
UCCE Horticulture and Small Farms Advisor
Placer & Nevada
Livestock and Natural Resources Farm Advisor
Roger Ingram is the Livestock and Natural Resources Farm Advisor in Placer and Nevada Counties. He has a Master's degree in Animal Science from Texas A & M University, and has served as a Farm Advisor in this area since 1986. Farm calls are available for free by an appointment basis, and questions can be answered by phone (530-889-7385) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to or view past issues of the Foothill Rancher newsletter here.
Special thanks to Wayde Carroll for the fabulous photos!
Website design and maintenance by Trina Filan, Vanessa Reed, Anna Van Zuuk, Leda McDaniel, Molly Nakahara, and Julia Boorinakis Harper.
About this Site
Person responsible for site: Cindy Fake, Horticulture and Small Farms Advisor
Site created: December 2010
Management of this website is funded in part by