Dr. Jim Farrar
Director, Statewide IPM ProgramUC IPM
2801 Second Street
Davis, CA 95618-7774
Ph.D. Botany/Plant Pathology minor, University of Wisconsin - Madison. 1995
M.S. Plant Pathology, UC Davis. 1990
B.S. Plant Pathology, University of Wisconsin - Madison. 1987
SpecialtyIPM, integrated pest management, plant pathology, vegetable diseases, fungi
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plant Cmmdtys and Prod - General
- Vegetable Crops - General
- Basic Plant Biology
- Pathogens and Nematodes Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Pest Management/Diseases
- Endemic and Invasive Pests and Diseases
- Farrar, James J.; Ellsworth, Peter C. (2018). Assessing compatibility of a pesticide in an IPM program. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 9:1, 3; 1-6.
- Farrar, J.J.; Baur, M.E. (2016). Adoption of IPM Practices in Grape, Tree Fruit, and Nut Production in the Western United States. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 7:1, 8.
- Pokorny, A.; Smilanick, J. (2016). "Determination of fungicide resistance in Botrytis cinerea from strawberry in the central coast region of California." Plant Health Progress 17: 30-34.
- Farrar, J.J.; Baur, M.E. (2016). Measuring IPM Impacts in California and Arizona. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 7:1, 13;1-6.
- Farrar, J. J. (2012). Management of important foliar and fruit diseases. Tomato Health Management.R. Davis, K. Pernezny and J. Broome. APS Press.: 87-93.
- Farrar, James J.; Nunez, J. Joseph (2009). "Losses due to lenticel rot are an increasing concern for Kern County potato growers." California Agriculture 65: 127-130.
- Farrar, James J.; Pryor, Barry A. (2004). "Alternaria diseases of carrot." Plant Disease 88: 776-784.
- Farrar, J.; Baur, M. (2016). Impact of integrated pest management (IPM) in California.(abstract). Phytopathology. 106:S4, 197-198.
- Pokorny, Andrew; Shrestha, Anil (2016). Multiple-fungicide resistant Botrytis cinerea in strawberry in the Central Coast Region. CAPCA Advisor. 36-40. June.
- Farrar, J.; Baur, M. (2016). Pest Management Strategic Plans improve investment in integrated pest management in Pacific Northwest hops. (abstract). Phytopathology. 106:S4, 197.
- Baur, Matthew; Farrar, Jim (2016). The raison d'etre for pest management strategic plans. Annual Meeting of the Pacific Branch of Entomology Society of America. Honolulu HI. 17. April 3-6, 2016. https://esa.confex.com/esa/2016pb/webprogram/Paper113067.html
- Farrar, James; Baur, Matthew E. (2015). Adoption and Impacts of Integrated Pest Management in Agriculture in the Western United States. Western IPM Center. 66. March. http://westernipm.org/index.cfm/about-the-center/publications/special-reports/adoption-and-impact-of-ipm-in-western-agriculture/
- Farrar, J; Baur, M (2015). Adoption of IPM practices for disease management in the Western U.S. Phytopathology. Annual Meeting; Pasadena CA, American Phytopathological Society. 105(4), S4.42. August 1-5. http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/toc/phyto/105/11S
- Farrar, James; Baur, Matthew E. (2015). Impacts of the Regional Integrated Pest Management Competitive Grants Program in the Western United States. Western IPM Center. 20. July. http://westernipm.org/index.cfm/about-the-center/publications/special-reports/western-ripm-retrospective-full-pdf/
- Farrar, James J.; Baur, Matthew E. (2015). Integrated Pest Management Improvements in Hops from 2008 to 2015. Western IPM Center. 4. http://westernipm.org/index.cfm/about-the-center/publications/special-reports/ipm-improvements-in-hops-pdf/
- Hirynk, R; O'Neal, S (2015). Western Region IR-4: Protecting specialty crops, practicing IPM, promoting global trade. 8th International IPM Symposium. Salt Lake City UT. March 23-26. http://www.ipmcenters.org/ipmsymposium15/posters.html
- Farrar, J; Hirnyk, R (2015). Western Region IR-4: Protecting specialty crops, practicing IPM, promoting global trade. Phytopathology. Annual Meeting; Pasadena CA, American Phytopathological Society. 105(4), S4.42. August 1-5. http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/toc/phyto/105/11S
- Farrar, J.J; Baur, M (2014). Western IPM Center Grant Program. Pacific Division; Bozeman MT, American Phytopathological Society. 104(S3), S3.181. July 9-11. http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/toc/phyto/104/11S
- Farrar, J.J; Thomas, C (2013). Supporting integrated pest management in the Western United States. Phytopathology. Pacific Division; Tucson, AZ, American Phytopathological Society. 103(3), S3.13. June 17-19. http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/toc/phyto/103/9S
- Ferry, A; Farrar, J (2009). Fungicide efficacy for control of cavity spot of carrots in California. Phytopathology. Annual Meeting; Portland OR, American Phytopathological Society. 99(6)S, S34. August 1-5. http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/toc/phyto/99/6s
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Integrated Management of Soilborne Pests - Chair
- Economics and Mgmt in Food , Ag, Nat Res and the Environment - Member
- Entomology - Member
- European Pear - Member
- Landscape and Urban Horticulture - Member
- Plant Pathology - Member
- Vegetable Crops - Member
- Wildlife - Member