On-line weekly Tuesdays, 6:00 – 7:30 pm September 6 to October 4. 2022 and in-person field trips on
October 12, Thursday 13, Friday 14 (attend one)
Workshop Series Goal:
To connect landowners affected by recent wildfires to post-fire management concepts, strategies, professionals, and programs.
Private landowners in the northern and Central Sierra Nevada affected by the 2021 Dixie, Caldor and Tamarack fires. The workshop would also be appropriate for others working for local government and non-profits and other land owners in these areas that have been impacted by recent wildfires.
- Increasing disturbances in Sierra Nevada forests
- Post-wildfire issues: erosion, invasives, hazard trees, fuels
- Time frame and steps needed for reforestation
- Landowner support groups and financial assistance
- Safety and erosion control for the short and long term
- Dealing with dead trees/ salvage logging/ slash treatment
- Reforestation/seedling orders/ climate change/ planting
- Dealing with competing vegetation and on-going maintenance
- Getting professional help and cost-share opportunities
The workshop format will be a hybrid of zoom sessions and in person field days. The zoom sessions will cover content on post fire forest management from a holistic perspective including issues of erosion control, invasive weeds, tree removal, reforestation and vegetation control. Three field days will be held to take workshop participants to the Dixie, Caldor and Tamarack fire areas.
Participants will use on-line resources on their own time to complete learning modules and short activities. Zoom meetings with all participants and presenters will take place once a week on Tuesdays, 6-7:30pm. The focus is on recent fires in the northern / central Sierra Nevada. The in-person field trips will visit the Dixie, Caldor & Tamarack fires to see fire impacts, restoration needs and strategies and restoration projects on private and public lands.
Registration for the workshop is $25 which covers workshop materials and lunch on the field trip day. Sign up now at: