- Author: Michael D Cahn, Ph.D.
Agricultural Order Public Scoping Meeting
Monday, August 7th 9 am – 11:30 am
Monterey County Agriculture Conference Room
1432 Abbott St.
The current Agricultural Order which regulates water quality for irrigated agriculture on the Central Coast will expire on March 8, 2020. Ahead of this deadline, The Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (CCRWQCB) staff must develop a new Agricultural Order. Water Quality Control Board members and staff will be hosting several listening sessions where attendees will have the opportunity to share their perspective and experiences regarding the pros, cons, and ideas for potential improvement of the Ag Order. Discussion topics will include the structure of the Ag Order, such as tiering and enrollment, as well as monitoring and reporting requirements.
The current agenda is:
1. Current Agricultural Order Staff will present a summary. Public will have the opportunity to comment on the current Ag Order structure, including enrollment; tiering; electronic notice of intent form; annual compliance form.
2. Water Quality Monitoring Public will have the opportunity to comment on the surface water and groundwater monitoring requirements; cooperatives conducting monitoring such as the Preservation Inc.'s Cooperative Monitoring Program and the Central Coast Groundwater Coalition.
3. Total Nitrogen Applied Public will have the opportunity to comment on the total nitrogen applied requirement.
5. Tier 3 Ranch Requirements Public will have the opportunity to comment on Ag Order requirements for tier 3 ranches, including individual surface water discharge monitoring; irrigation and nutrient management plan reporting; water quality buffer plans.
6. Missing Requirements Public will have the opportunity to comment on the requirements they deem are necessary but currently not in the Ag Order.
A quorum of Central Coast Water Board members may be present; however, the Central Coast Water Board will not be taking any action at the scoping meeting.
The meeting will be conducted in English, Spanish translation will be provided for attendees sharing a comment in Spanish.
Esta reunión se va a llevar a cabo en inglés, pero va a haber traducción al español disponible para aquellas personas que quieran dar testimonio en español.
If you cannot attend this meeting, there will be another opportunity in Watsonville at the Public library on August 15th. Please see the attached flyers for more information./h3>