- Author: Araceli Delgadillo
- Editor: Emily Harris
On November 14th, 2016 UC CalFresh was invited to the Parent Coffee Hour at Rowell Elementary in Fresno. The parent coffee hour is a designated time when parents can meet with the school principal to ask questions, address concerns or participate in a presentation. Nutrition Program Coordinators, Araceli Delgadillo and Emily Harris, presented the “MyPlate Workshop.” There were 15 parents in attendance along with Rowell's principal, Alice McClintock. The parents learned about MyPlate and received tips to help them follow MyPlate guidelines. The parents also sampled Broccoli Cheddar Soup, and it was a hit! A nutrition series will be offered to the Rowell Elementary parents in the spring of 2017.
Below is the recipe that the parents tasted during the MyPlate workshop:
Image Source: http://aubonpain.com/menu/broccoli-cheddar
Cream of Broccoli Soup
10 ounce package of frozen, chopped broccoli
1- 8 ounce can of carrots or drained mixed vegetables
1- 10 ounce can of cream of mushroom soup
1 ¼ cup of low fat milk
¼ to ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, prepare broccoli according to directions. Drain water.
- Add carrots, cream of mushroom soup, and one can of milk to the broccoli. Stir over low heat until vegetables are cooked and the mixture is steaming hot.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers.