Water and Pest Management will be the focus of a field day be held April 16th at the UC Desert Research and Extension Center in Holtville, CA in the Imperial Valley. 7 a.m. through Noon. Includes Lunch (sponsored by mOasis). Come learn about water issues with alfalfa, pest management, and a range of crops from sugarbeet to king grass.
APPROVED CEU's: Certified Crop Adviser (CA 53247 – 4hrs.), CA CEU (M-0663-15 – 1hr.) &
AZ CEU (EXC-318-15A – 1hr.)
Here are the topics to be covered:
Alfalfa and Water Topics:
- Update on the Drought—Daniele Zaccaria, UC Davis and Khaled Bali, UCCE, Imperial
- Alfalfa production under Subsurface Drip Irrigation In Alfalfa—Dan Putnam, UC Davis
- Design of Subsurface Irrigation in Alfalfa—Bryan Foley, Toro Micro-irrigation
- Grower's Panel on Subsurface Drip irrigation – how it works in practice—John Summers, ACX international
- Alfalfa Crop Coefficients-How much water does Alfalfa Need?—Cayle Little, DWR, Sacramento
- Automated Systems for Surface Irrigation—Tom Gill, USBR
- Controls for Automated Gates—Philip Ray, Observant, Inc.
- Advance Sensors for Automation—Alan Jackson, Rubicon Water
- Flow rate measurements—Ron Nauman, SonTek, San Diego
- Irrigation scheduling: What's Important—Khaled Bali, UCCE, Imperial
- Alfalfa Soil Aeration Equipment—Geno Souza, Gearmore, Inc.
- Alfalfa Varieties—Dan Putnam, UC Davis
- Deficit Irrigation- how to deal with low water years—Dan Putnam, UC Davis, and Khaled Bali, UCCE, Imperial County
- BoutiGel—Water Savings tested on Bell Pepper—Jose Aguiar, UCCE, Riverside County.
- Blue Alfalfa Aphid Control—Eric Natwick, UCCE, Imperial County
- Insect Pests of the Palo Verde Valley—Vonny Barlow, UCCE, Riverside County
- Giant King Grass Trials in El Centro—Oli Bacchi, UCCE Imperial County, El Centro
- Oil Crops For the Desert—Steve Kaffka, UC Davis
- IR-4 Field Assessments for New Pesticides—Brent Boutwell, UCCE, Imperial County
- Sorghum Forages For California—Bob Hutmacher, UC Specialist, UC Davis and West Side REC, Fresno Co.
- How to Assess Possibilities of Biofuel Feedstocks for the Low Desert—David Grantz, Kearney Ag. Center, Fresno Co.
- Sugarbeet Nitrogen and Irrigation Management under Flood and Drip Irrigation—Steve Kaffka, UC Davis
- Cyst Nematodes in Sugarbeet—Becky Westerdahl, UC Davis
Please see HERE for a complete schedule for the event. Hope to see you there!