UC Davis Annual Field Day for Alfalfa & Small Grains will be held 12 May, 2015 on the UC Davis Campus. Many subjects including pest management, irrigation management, genetics, disease resistance and drought response will be featured. Come visit field research plots showing new varieties, subsurface drip irrigation, monitoring of irrigation and water needs, and pest management.
The grains program is in the morning and the Alfalfa/Forage Program in the Afternoon.
FREE Barbecue Lunch at Noon Sponsored by California Crop Improvement Association.
There is no pre-registration required, just come.
Continuing Education Credits: 5 PCA Credits and 5 CCA Credits.
For a FULL FIELD DAY SCHEDULE, see the AgRIC page: http://agric.ucdavis.edu/?calitem=267210&g=75579
Schedule will include:
8:15-Noon The Grains Field Day morning tour:
• Promising UCD Lines for Future Common Wheat Releases including Pest Resistance • Durum Wheat Varieties improvements in Quality
• Discovering genes for drought tolerance
• Evaluation of high resistant starch wheat linesGlobal analysis for stripe rust resistance and drought tolerance
• Statewide Germplasm Development and Evaluation – Wheat, Triticale, and Barley Yields
• Performance and Pest Resistance • Using barley to identify resistance genes to wheat stripe rust
• Combining two stripe rust resistance genes in a single locus
• Advances in the oat breeding program • Malting barley varieties for a growing local brewing industry
• Vernalization-requiring wheats for the Central Valley • Using wild ancestors and relatives of wheat for improvement
12:00 Noon - Barbeque Lunch (Sponsored by CA Crop Improvement)
12:45 Alfalfa/Forages Field Tour:
• Measuring alfalfa water use
• Use of sorghum as a forage in a drought year
• Strategies for managing alfalfa during drought years
• Subsurface Drip Irrigation – What are the possibilities?
• Utilizing farm fields to replenish groundwater
• Strategies for controlling gophers in drip and flood fields
• Insect and nematode management strategies
• New weed management tools
• Crop rotations effects on N management
• Alfalfa Varieties — yield and pest management implications
Directions: Field Day is located on Hutchison Road in Davis - about 1/2 mile west of Route 113. See program for details./span>