Supporting the NCPN Fruit Tree program
Published on: January 6, 2018
- Virus distribution changes with the seasons. In the winter, collect 8-10 inch one-year-old dormant bud sticks. In the summer collect flowers and leaf bud sticks from all major scaffolds and limbs. In the fall, collect 8-10 inch one-year-old branches of the current season's growth, including the leaves.
- Immediately place the sample in a labeled (tree, row, grower, GPS etc.) sealed plastic bag (e.g. Zip-Loc).
- Do not add additional moisture in the bag.
- Do not allow the bag to sit in the sun (the samples heat very quickly). Keep the samples cool and shaded.
- If ice packs are used when transporting samples, do not place bags of leaf samples directly against the ice. This will freeze the tissue and labs will not be able to test the sample reliably. Use several layers of paper or bubble wrap to insulate the sample.