- Author: Lynn M. Sosnoskie
Interested in soil amendments, cover cropping and soil health? Check out this rapidly approaching workshop.
BUILDING SOIL HEALTH IN FIELD CROPS VIA ORGANIC AMENDMENTS AND COVER CROPS
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12: 9:00 AM TO NOON
Russell Ranch Sustainable Agriculture Facility, UC Davis
(Russell Blvd & Kinsella Lane, Winters, CA)
(1) Introduction: overview of project, what do we know about how amendments and cover crops impact soil health in CA row crops?
(2) What are the barriers for adopting soil health practices? How can they be overcome? Small group discussions of obstacles, opportunities and incentives for using organic amendments and cover crops
(3) How do you do it? Hands-on demonstration of how we measure soil health indicators: soil carbon, greenhouse gas emissions, aggregate stability, bulk density, and soil respiration.
(4) What does it mean? Presentation and discussion of how to interpret soil health measurements—how do we know what is “healthy”, influence of soil type, region, time.
Rad Schmidt, Nicole Tautges, Israel Herrera, Xia Zhu-Barker, Kate Scow, Sonja Brodt
Register at: https://building-soil-health.eventbrite.com