- Author: Myriam Grajales-Hall
The study entitled “The Economic Impact of the Landscaping and Lawn Care Services Industry on U.S. Latinos” examines the landscaping and lawn care industry’s impact upon Latinos. The report was conducted for the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce by the Inter-University Program on Latino Research. The research show the vital role that the landscape and lawn care services industry plays in providing entrepreneurial opportunity, jobs and income to U.S. Latinos.
Among the study’s key findings are:
• The total household income of households with at least one worker in the landscing industry totals almost $75 billion. Latino households with at least one worker in the industry obtain more than $18 billion in household income.
• The landscape industry in the United States employs almost 1.6 million workers and generates almost 959,000 jobs in other industries. In total, Latinos account for more than 830,000 of the workers in both categories.
• For Latinos, the landscape and lawn care industry is an important source of employment. The share of Latino employment in the industry is 2.6 times higher than the national average.
• The landscaping and lawn care industry provides disproportionately more income to Latino households than the overall economy provides to Latinos.
• The landscape and lawn care services industry provides a strong source of entrepreneurial opportunity to Latinos. The proportion of businesses owned by Latinos in the industry is almost double the national average for all industries with Latinos accounting for over 16 percent of the business owners in the industry (versus 8.6 percent of the businesses nationwide).
California, Texas, and Florida account for one-third of all the Latino workers employed in the landscape and lawn care services industry.
Source: IUPLA, Landscape & Lawn Care services industry offers entrepreneurial opportunity for U.S. Latinos, November, 23, 2011.