- Author: Kathy Keatley Garvey
- Members-Only Online Plant Sales with Curbside Pick-Up. You shop at the online plant store Tuesday, Oct. 19 through Thursday, Oct. 21, starting at 10 a.m. and then schedule a pick-up at the Arboretum Teaching Nursery. Members of the Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden and the Davis Botanical Society gain early access to the online plant sales, get the best selections, and save 10 percent. This is for members only, but you can become a member anytime. Sign up here. Contact: email@example.com or (530)-752-4880. See more information here.
- Public Online Plant Sales with Curbside Pick-Up. You shop at the online plant store Friday, Oct. 22 through Monday, Oct. 25, starting at 10 a.m., and then schedule a pick-up at the Arboretum Teaching Nursery. To gain access to the online plant sale store, you need to subscribe to the Arboretum's online e-newsletter, The Leaflet. Sign up here. (A link to access the online store will be emailed to current subscribers the morning of Oct. 22.) See more information here.
Curbside pickup dates are Oct. 26 through Nov. 13, excluding Sundays, Mondays and Veterans' Day. As earlier mentioned, when you place youronline order, you will receive a confirmation with a link to schedule your pickup time. Check out more questions and answers here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Pandemic Rules. To keep everybody safe, there are important COVID-19 pandemic rules posted on the Arboretum plant sales website:
- "Before you come to the Arboretum Teaching Nursery for curbside pickup appointment, please complete the UC Davis COVID-19 Daily Symptom Survey for visitors."
- "Our nursery staff will be wearing masks. We encourage you to do the same."
- "A staff member will take your name, ask that you stay in your vehicle and load your trunk with your order — please be sure there is enough room."
- "If you have any COVID-19 symptoms on the day of your appointment, you will be able to reschedule."
Meanwhile, here are a few photos of pollinators and past plant sales to help inspire you to "go green" and "think pollinators," while helping the UC Davis Arboretum Teaching Nursery.
- Author: Kathy Keatley Garvey
If you want to draw pollinators to your yard, think of the plants for sale at the teaching nursery maintained by the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden.
A public clearance sale will take place Thursday, May 20 through Monday, May 24, with members saving 30 percent and the public, 20 percent. The online "plant store" will open at 1 p.m., May 20. Just access the Arboretum's plant sale website, and follow the directions to select, order, and pick up your plants at curbside. The site is located on Garrod Drive, near the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.
The nursery looks a bit barren now, due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions (few people, but lots of plants, carts and enthusiasm). On a recent visit, nursery manager Taylor Lewis was tending to business, nurturing the plants. Honey bees buzzed, butterflies fluttered, and a California scrub jay rapped.
Some of the restrictions regarding the online plant sales:
- Before you come to the Arboretum Teaching Nursery for curbside pickup appointment, please complete the UC Davis COVID-19 Daily Symptom Survey.
- When you arrive, be sure to wear a face covering — this is mandated by UC Davis across campus.
- A staff member will take your name, ask that you stay in your vehicle and load your trunk with your order — please be sure there is enough room
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Meanwhile, make your selection, plant it, and wait for the pollinators to arrive. Photographing them is a blessed bonus. Thought we'd share some images of honey bees drawn to one of our favorite plants from the nursery: Salvia "Hot Lips."