- Author: Rose Marie Hayden-Smith
University of California researchers and program staff are working to answer questions and provide information and resources relating to the food system and COVID-19.
Learn about how coronavirus is impacting the food supply chain in this piece written by UC specialists and agricultural and resource economists Ellen M. Bruno (UC Berkeley); Richard J. Sexton (UC Davis); and Daniel A. Sumner (UC Davis). A key conclusion? "The food system in the United States is resilient and there is little reason for alarm about food availability."
PPE is in short supply for farm work. Some recommendations are provided here.
Resources to help with food access and safety
- Find meals for kids in your community.
- Find food bank resources in your area.
- Have questions about COVID-19 and food safety? Check out our FAQ sheet.
Interested in gardening? Check out these free resources.
- Take a look at our 4-H Vegetable Gardening Project sheet.
- We also recommend our 4-H Water Conservation Project sheet, which provides engaging, science-based activities the entire family can enjoy. 4-H is one of the oldest youth development programs in the nation and we'll be sharing other educational resources in upcoming posts. #Head #Heart #Hands #Health.
- Visit the California Garden Web, designed by our UC Master Gardeners. You'll find a wealth of gardening information and a helpful glossary.
ICYMI: New, weekly blog series. Our Director, Dr. Annemiek Schilder, has begun a series of blog posts providing observations about the natural world. These are terrific and educational pieces that are great for the home classroom. Bonus? Beautiful, well-captioned photos that help tell the story. #STEM
Wondering how to be happy in quarantine? There's a science-backed answer, according to UC Riverside researchers who have been studying people under quarantine in China. They say the best protection against COVID-19 stress is "to participate in all-consuming activities." Read more here.
We're all in this together. UC HAREC provided 85 bags of kale, carrots, beets and lettuce from the field trip garden and tangerines from the farm to share with Ventura Unified School district families at one of their school meal pick up sites. #UCHAREC #VCStrong