Submissions for the UC Master Gardener Search for Excellence (SFE) competition are now being accepted thru May 1, 2023. The SFE competition happens triennially and coincides with the statewide UC Master Gardner conference taking place October 2 - October 6, 2023 at Granlibakken Tahoe. UC Master Gardener volunteers, program coordinators and advisors from around the state are invited to submit their innovative educational and outreach projects for consideration.
The Search for Excellence guidelines and submission guide are available on the 2023 UC Master Gardener Conference website: ucanr.edu/sites/23MGConference/SFE/. For questions about submitting a project, contact your local program coordinator or advisor to discuss and get approval.
Search for Excellence Recognition and Prizes
The top three winning submission are individually recognized and celebrated at the conference during the awards banquet dinner. Winners are given the opportunity to present their project to fellow UC Master Gardener volunteers from across the state during the Search for Excellence Session at the 2023 Conference. Cash prizes will be awarded to the three highest scoring entries among seven categories.
1st place = $1500 GRAND PRIZE
2nd place = $1000
3rd place = $500
- Submission Guideline and Guide posted online January 2023
- Submissions accepted February 1 – May 1, 2023
- Winners contacted end of June 2023
- Winners announced publicly July 2023
- Conference: October 2 – October 6, 2023
Explore past winners
- 2020 UC Master Gardener Search for Excellence Winners
- 2017 UC Master Gardener Search for Excellence Winners
- 2014 UC Master Gardener Search for Excellence Winners
Search for Excellence Chair
Include county name in subject line for all email communications
Email checked weekly
Author - Statewide Training Coordinator