Adult Volunteers must be 18 years or older. A volunteer cannot simultaneously be a 4-H member. Chaperones must be at least 21 years of age or older. Potential volunteers must submit a 4-H Adult Volunteer Interest Survey, complete the 4-H adult volunteer application process in 4hOnline, complete the required volunteer training in eXtension, submit fee payment to club leader, and complete a live-scan clearance with the Department of Justice. 4-H YDP Volunteers are appointed by the County Director. The decision to appoint or not appoint a volunteer (whether initially or upon renewal) rests with the County Director, in consultation with appropriate 4-H staff. All appointments are made for the best interest of the 4-H Youth Development Program and 4-H members.
The enrollment fees for Adult Volunteers for 2019-20 is $25, with a cash discount price of $24. You may pay online with a credit card at: https://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=27748
Applying to be a 4-H volunteer
All 4-H adult volunteers must apply and be appointed annually. Please follow the steps below to apply to be a 4-H adult volunteer.
All new 4-H volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority in 4-H is the safety of young people. We do all we can to protect young people and keep them safe while they are in our care. An important part of providing a safe environment is to conduct background checks on our volunteers and staff. Everyone that will be spending an extended time with our 4-H youth is screened. When you become a 4-H volunteer, you are part of the plan to keep our young people safe.
- Complete the online 4-H Volunteer Interest Survey.
- Create an adult volunteer profile on 4hOnline.* Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly. This is how you will receive communications.
*For Spanish: The 4hOnline system is only in English. Please fill in the paper enrollment packet in Spanish and turn it in to your club leader or county staff for them to enter it into 4hOnline for you. Please keep a copy of the paper forms for your records.
- Once you have submitted your enrollment in 4HOnline, you will be sent an email directing you to complete New Volunteer Training modules hosted at http://campus.extension.org. The email will contain a self-enrollment key that you will need in order to register for the training and access the curriculum. Note that you will need to use Firefox, Chrome, or Safari as your internet browser; the training modules do not work well with Internet Explorer, or Edge.
- Successfully clear a California Department of Justice background check (Livescan fingerprinting). Be sure to download and provide this form to the required Livescan agencies listed on letter: Tulare County Request for Live Scan Service.
- Pay the program fee to your club (currently $25 for the 2019-20 program year), and you are done!
The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after
- You are signed up in 4hOnline.
- You have passed the screening process.
You complete all of the New Volunteer Training required in your county.
Once you are approved, the fun begins!
- Start connecting with 4-H families about your new role.
- Take advantage of 4-H resources:
- Skills development workshops
- Approved curriculum to plan your projects
- Volunteer leadership conferences
Your county may have additional resources specific to your county, so please connect with your county 4-H Program Representative.