The virtual equine events all require a reliable internet and the use of certain online technologies in order to compete.
Live events require a consistent and reliable internet connection. It is the responsibility of the individual contestants to secure all needed technology requirements and ensure that they are working properly PRIOR to the scheduled event.
For eXtension technical support, please contact Scott Mautte at email@example.com, 530-750-1335.
Hippology and Horse Judging Contests Technical Needs
- Laptop or Desktop computer preferred; tablet ok. Accessing the system by cell phone is strongly discouraged.
- Reliable internet connection.
- Most current version of a known web browser (Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari, Firefox).
eXtension Learning Management System
You will use the eXtention learning management system at campus.extension.org for both the practice session and the competition that you registered for. To learn more about the eXtension system, please visit the eXtension FAQ page.
- An eXtension account for each individual participant is required to participate in this event.
In order to create an account on campus.extension.org , each user must have a unique email address.
You can create multiple accounts on a shared email address by adding "+Name" to the part before the @, with no spaces.
For example, if your shared email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, then enter this as the email address:
This will allow you to create separate accounts on extension.org. In most cases, the email provider will ignore "+Name" in the address and route messages to the shared email account.
Practice sessions and the contests will be loaded into each participant's eXtension account a week prior to the events. These are located in the "My Course" section of your eXtension account.
We strongly encourage everyone to participate in the practice sessions to become familiar with the way the system operates and the events are run.
If the practice session(s) and contest(s) that you registered for are not listed in your account one week prior to the event, please contact Scott Mautte immediately at email@example.com so that the issue can be resolved. Please include the participant's name and a contact phone number so that we can verify based on the registration information.
Public Speaking Contest Technology Needs
- Computer with webcam, microphone, and speakers
- Smartphone or tablet with camera, microphone and speakers.
- Reliable internet connection.
- Optional - tripod if using a tablet or smartphone for your webcam.
The Zoom app should be installed on the computer, tablet or smartphone. Download the software at https://zoom.us/download/.
Check your tech
Hint: You may want to sign up for a free Zoom account to practice at home!
- Connect and test your Zoom audio.
- If you're calling in, enter your participant ID number to link your computer and phone. Find it next to your name in the "Participants" sidebar. On your phone, press #[number] # to connect.
- Activate your camera.
- Use Zoom's Gallery View to see the whole group.
- If you need help, type [Scott or Keely] in the Zoom chat box for assistance.
Prepare to participate
- Remain on-camera at all times (except if you are experiencing Internet bandwidth issues).
- Remain available to be on-mic. Mute while others are speaking/presenting, but be ready to participate.
- Turn other devices near you to airplane mode and close other windows on your computer to avoid distractions.
- Use the phrase "I'm complete..." or "I'm done..." when speaking.
- Use nonverbal tools in Zoom to raise your hand.