ANR Staff Human Resources
University of California
ANR Staff Human Resources

Outplacement Resources

Layoff Resources

First steps

One of the first steps that you may need to take after facing a layoff is applying for unemployment benefits. For help applying for unemployment benefits, please see the resources below. 

Unemployment Insurance Benefits:

The next and equally important step after having faced a layoff is to review your benefits rights, and decide what to do regarding continuing benefits.


Your next step is to identify your resources, particularly, where to look for a new job or where to find educational resources. We realize that this time can be very stressful and in order to alleviate some of that stress, we’ve developed a list of possible resources for you.

To see the current open positions at UC ANR, please take a look at our Employment Opportunities job board.


California Employment Development Department (EDD)

If you are ready to begin looking for a new job but are not sure where to begin, then the California Employment Development Department is a great place to start. The Employment Development Department (EDD) provides a comprehensive range of employment and training services in partnership with state and local agencies and organizations. These services benefit job seekers, laid-off workers, youth, individuals currently working, veterans, and people with disabilities. To learn more about the EDD and the services that they provide, please visit the EDD's Find a Job website.  

America's Job Center of California

America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (AJCC) is your easy one-stop access to the state’s employment-related services. Explore the resources through this Web portal or visit a local center. They are located throughout the state to help employers find qualified workers and job seekers find good jobs. Job seekers can get assistance in assessing skills, finding job opportunities and training, prepping a résumé, and much more. To locate a Job Center of California office near you, please go to:

EDD's Toolbox for Job Seekers

The EDD's "Toolbox for Job Seekers" provides tools and resources for California’s job seekers to assist in their job search, career exploration, and training needs. To look at the resources within the toolbox, please visit:


Job Search Engines

California State Jobs:

Cal Jobs:

JobStar Sacramento:

Federal Jobs:

Higher Ed Jobs:


Job Training Resources

Sacramento Employment and Training Agency (SETA) - El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba counties

Visit their website:

Department of Labor

Workforce Investment Act - Adults & Dislocated Workers Program - 

Career One-Stop

Visit their website:

See available training opportunities:

State of California's Eligible Training Provider List:

Visit their website:


Job Finding Resources

My Skills My Future Assessment: (Identify occupations that require skills and knowledge similar to your current or previous job)

Resume Training:

Stress Management Tips:

Job Hunting Tips:


Educational/Employment Opportunities

Going back to school might seem like the last thing on your mind right now; however, training and education have been proven to assist in the job search and retention issues that many people are facing today.

A website was specifically designed to assist in the search for online learning opportunities: You may search by ranking, cost, degree type and also find further information in online education. 

A view a list of Universities and Colleges throughout the US, please take a look at:

Key Terms:

  • Distance Education
  • Distance Learning
  • Continuing Education
  • Continuing Studies
  • Online Learning
  • Extended Learning
  • Extended Education
  • Adult Education


Funding Assistance for Educational Opportunities

If you have been waiting to continue your education, or just think you need more education in order to be competitive in this job environment, then hesitate no more. Not only are there a lot of on-campus and online educational opportunities out there, there may also be funding available to you for those opportunities. 



Displaced Worker Scholarships and Funding Opportunities: 

Social Change and Public Service Scholarships (Walden University): 

Science or Math Teaching Scholarships (Western Governors University): 



Cal Grant - A, B & C:


Pell Grants for Those with Financial Need

Pell Grants are needs-based grants—meaning you do not have to pay them back—that are available only to students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. They are available to those who have the most need, with their needs calculated based on income, number of dependents, and other factors that are reported on the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Those found eligible for Pell Grant funding may also receive funding through other grants, including the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program. This grant is for undergraduates with the greatest unmet financial need, and most students receive between $100 and $4,000 depending on the intended college and Expected Family Contribution. Although this grant can also be considered a college-based grant as it is disbursed by your intended college, it is awarded to schools by the federal government. Schools must contribute financially to the FSEOG program for funds to be made available to them. (For every three dollars of federal money allocated to FSEOG, the institution is required to contribute one dollar.) Your FAFSA will determine your eligibility, as some schools may not participate in the program.

TEACH Grants:

Federal Grants for Education:


Loan Assumption, Forgiveness, Cancellation and Discharge Programs

Federal Forgiveness, Cancellation and Discharge Programs: 

Federal Perkins Loan (includes Teacher Cancellation):

Public Service Loan Forgiveness: 

APLE Loan Assumption:

Nurse Education Loan Repayment:


These volunteer organizations offer loan forgiveness:

AmeriCorps. Serve for 12 months and receive up to $7400 in stipends plus $4725 to be used towards your loan. Call 1-800-942-2677.

Peace Corps. Volunteers may apply for deferment of Stafford, Perkins and Consolidation loans and partial cancellation of Perkins Loans (15% for each year of service, up to 70% in total). Volunteers make a real difference in the lives of real people with two years of service in more than 70 developing countries. Contact the Peace Corps at 1111 20th St., NW, Washington, DC 20526 or call 1-800-424-8580 or 1-202-692-1845.

AmeriCorps VISTA. Volunteer with private, non-profit groups that help eradicate hunger, homelessness, poverty and illiteracy. Provide 1700 hours of service and receive $4725. Call 1-800-942-2677 or 1-202-606-5000.

If you have any questions regarding any Human Resources related matter please do not hesitate to contact our e-service center at

Webmaster Email: