The first three beds at the main entrance to the garden are designed to be easily accessible. They are sturdy and elevated. Bed 2 is constructed of dry stacked cinder blocks which provides a comfortable seating area for gardeners and visitors alike.
The remaining raised beds are constructed of cedar with ¼ inch hardware cloth on the bottom to keep gophers out.
The garden features demonstrations of various growing techniques suitable for home gardeners in Calaveras County.
Produce is shared with the Senior Center across the street.
Summer 2015 - What We Are Growing
How We Are Dealing With Drought
Here's what we are doing to conserve precious water resources:
- Installed drip irrigation on timers.
- Grouping plants with similar water needs together. Irrigation adjusted to plant groups.
- Harvesting ripe produce immediately.
- Mulch, mulch and mulch!
- Not planting very thirsty crops, such as corn.
- Using ground covers that attract beneficial insects and reduce evaporation.
- Checking for water leaks regularly.
- Adjusting irrigation according to the age of the plant.
- Stopping irrigation to plants that are no longer producing heavily.