Time of Year
Cost of Materials
HOW IT WORKS:
- A burrow exploder uses the force from the ignition of a gaseous mixture to create a concussive blast that is intended to control ground squirrels and other burrowing mammals.
- There is much equipment involved in this burrow explosion method. You will need personal safety gear, which includes a hard hat, heavy gloves, safety glasses, ear plugs, ear protectors, and full body protective clothing. A fire extinguisher and shovels are highly recommended.
- The hoses that feed the gases into the nozzle are 50 feet long. Depending on the size of the gas canisters that you use, you may need a hand truck, ATV, or a vehicle to carry the equipment.
- Further research is necessary to determine the efficacy of this device, although initial tests have not been promising.
HOW TO USE IT:
Burrow ExploderLaunch Image Gallery: Burrow Exploder
- The burrow is filled with a mixture of propane and oxygen gases; the gases are then ignited by a spark created by the trigger on the applicator.
- Should you use this method, read the Best Management Practices for Fumigation.
Precautions must be taken in order to avoid unfortunate
accidents. There is a severe fire risk if
used in dry areas.
Madera FireLaunch Image Gallery: Madera Fire
- It can also be hazardous to humans due to the extreme noise levels (ear protection is required) and fire hazards.
WHERE TO GET IT:
- Currently, there are little or no regulations concerning the use of burrow exploders. A fire permit may be required for use in some areas.
- You may have to obtain a noise permit in certain areas.