COVID-19 Information & Resources
updated August 2, 2020
Advice for the Public from the WHO - World Health Organization
When and How to Wash Your Hands from the CDC - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Resources to Continue Fighting the Spread of COVID-19 excerpts from the University of Georgia Extension News published 5/1/20
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds and sanitize frequently (using sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol) in between hand washings to prevent the spread of the virus to yourself and others.
Make the Recipe for Homemade Hand Sanitizer [referred to in the University of Georgia Extension YouTube video, Homemade hand sanitizers, grocery shopping and takeout food during COVID-19]
- Clean and sanitize common areas or frequently touched items throughout your home or business.
Refer to the EPA for COVID-19 Disinfectants
- Stay home. The most effective way to avoid contracting COVID-19, or unknowingly spreading it, is to avoid contact with other people.
Never leave home if you are sick, unless to seek medical attention.
- Wear a mask in public. This reduces disease spread to healthy individuals, which is particularly important because many people can be infected by COVID-19 and spread the disease without experiencing any symptoms of illness.
[Follow the CDC's DIY Instructions for Sew and No Sew Cloth Face Coverings]
- And finally, remember that your local Extension agents and specialists are still available as a resource to you during this time, even though most of us are working from home or making calls from our cell phones. We are all in this together.
[Use the MFPOC Helpline to contact Master Food Preservers of Orange County, CA]
UCANR has published a number of research-based fact sheets (in English and Spanish) to help keep you and your family safe and help stop community spread of COVID-19. You can find all of them at ANR Catalog on COVID-19.
The following are the ones related to food safety:
- For answers to common questions around food safety during the COVID-19 pandemic, read ANR Pub 1903
- For answers to common questions around shopping & handling groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic, read ANR Pub 1901
- For information on cleaning & disinfecting reusable bags, read ANR Pub 1908
- For answers to common questions around takeout food during the COVID-19 pandemic, read ANR Pub 1902