Become a UC Master Food Preserver
- Contribute to your community. Every year UC Master Food Preserver volunteers contribute several thousand hours of educational service helping keep our community safe and healthy.
- Enjoy working together with a great group of food enthusiasts.
- Gain excellent knowledge about preserving fresh produce.
UC Master Food Preserver volunteers receive an intensive training program in home food preservation. Instruction provides practical courses in the following topics
- Food Safety
- Boiling water and atmospheric steam canning
- Pressure canning
- Canning jams & jellies
- Pickling and fermenting
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables
- Freezing foods
The training program consists of a combination of classroom lecture and hands-on labs to learn the food preservation techniques, with outside study in addition to class time. Quizzes, special projects and a final examination prepares trainees to begin their first year of volunteer service. For more information, see details about the Training Program.