Become a UC Master Food Preserver
- Contribute to your community. Every year UC Master Food Preserver volunteers contribute several thousand hours of educational service helping keep our community safe and healthy.
- Enjoy working together with a great group of food enthusiasts.
- Gain excellent knowledge about preserving fresh produce.
UC Master Food Preserver volunteers receive an intensive six month training program in home food preservation. Instruction provides practical courses in the following topics
- Food Safety
- Boiling water and atmospheric steam canning
- Pressure canning
- Canning jams & jellies
- Pickling and fermenting
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables
- Freezing foods
Classes meet virtually several times a month, with multiple hands-on labs (Phase 2 of the training class) to learn the food preservation techniques, with outside study in addition to class time. Quizzes, special projects and a final examination prepares the trainees to begin their first year of volunteer service.