Quarter Century Club
The Quarter Century Club is sponsored by the Chancellor and includes all UC Davis employees who have dedicated 25 years or more to the university.
From the minutes of the first informal meeting in September 1939:
"Many of us have grown up with the University Farm, a farm that later became a college. To commemorate the olden days and to stage a sort of old timer's reunion, it was suggested that we call the "actives" together during the sheep show at the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island."
A dozen of these "old timer's" assembled for dinner at the Scottish Village on Treasure Island and during the course of the evening each told of his first days at Davis 25 years earlier.
The group included several faculty members, the carpenter who built the first barn, a herdsman, the farm superintendent, and some other men in the community closely involved with the Farm. Known to be in attendance were animal science Professor Bobby Miller and shepherd George Phillip.
During the evening, they agreed the Quarter Century Club would meet once a year. There would be no officers, no fees, no by-laws, and membership would be open to any man who had been affiliated with the institution or community for at least 25 years. In 1972 the club expanded membership to include women and 15 women members were added.