Many, but not all, of the photos in the Toolkit photo library have been purchased from a stock photo house - iStockphoto®.
We have a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable worldwide license to use the iStockphoto® Content for the permitted uses (as defined below). Unless the activity or use is a permitted use, you cannot do it. If you have questions, contact Evett Kilmartin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep in mind, these photos should be considered special. Take care of them. If their use is abused and in violation of the licensing agreement, they will be removed and no longer available.
- You may only use the iStockphoto® Content for those advertising, promotional and other specified purposes which include:
- advertising and promotional projects, including printed materials, product packaging, presentations, film and video presentations, commercials, catalogs, brochures, promotional greeting cards, and promotional postcards. (i.e. not for resale or license);
- entertainment applications, such as books and book covers, magazines, newspapers, editorials, newsletters, and video, broadcast and theatrical presentations;
- online or electronic publications, including web pages to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels.
- prints, posters (i.e. a hardcopy) and other reproductions for personal use or promotional purposes specified in (1) above, but not for resale, license or other distribution.
- you are entitled to utilize the Permitted Uses an unlimited number of times.
- In other words, you can use these images for posters, publications, newsletters, websites, documents and PowerPoint presentations—all must be produced by ANR faculty and staff for ANR purposes.
- Prohibited Uses. You may not do anything with the Content that is not expressly permitted in the preceding section or permitted by an Extended License. For greater certainty, the following are “Prohibited Uses” and you may not:
- use the images in design template applications intended for resale, whether on-line or not, including, website templates, Flash templates, business card templates, electronic greeting card templates, and brochure design templates;
- use or display the images on websites or other venues designed to induce or involving the sale, license or other distribution of “on demand” products, including postcards, mugs, t-shirts, posters and other items (this includes custom designed websites, as well as sites such as www.cafepress.com);
- use the images in any posters (printed on paper, canvas or any other media) or other items for resale, license or other distribution for profit;
- use any of the images as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo;
- use or display any images that feature a model or person in a manner (a) that would lead a reasonable person to think that such person uses or personally endorses any business, product, service, cause, association or other endeavor; or (b) except where accompanied by a statement that indicates that the image is being used for illustrative purposes only and any person depicted in the Content is a model, that depicts such person in a potentially sensitive subject matter, including, but not limited to mental and physical health issues, social issues, sexual or implied sexual activity or preferences, substance abuse, crime, physical or mental abuse or ailments, or any other subject matter that would be reasonably likely to be offensive or unflattering to any person reflected in the Content;
- sub-license, re-sell, rent, lend, assign, gift or otherwise transfer or distribute the images;
- use the images for editorial purposes without including the following credit adjacent to the Content: “©iStockphoto.com/Artist’s Member Name]; or
- either individually or in combination with others, reproduce the Content, or an element of the Content, in excess of 500,000 times.
- In other words,
- You must not sell any product featuring these images on t-shirts, mugs, posters, etc, except an ANR-produced publication or video where the image doesn't make or break the product like on a t-shirt.
- If the image is used in an ANR publication specific photo credit must be given. Contact Mike Poe for details.
- You must prevent re-distribution of the image—you may not put it in any other image repository like a Site Builder datastore or any other database.
- You can use these images in a PowerPoint but you cannot post the PPT file online. This would constitute redistribution.
- You cannot use the image to endorse a product. For example, you cannot use a photo of a woman from iStockphoto® and add the caption, “I only like Toyotas.”
- You cannot offer these photos to other publishers. For example, you cannot include any of these licensed photos in an article you are writing to be published by a newspaper, magazine, or book publisher.
- These images cannot be distributed to other educational institutions. You cannot offer these images for use by another UC office or department. These are for licensed for ANR use only.