Contracts & Grants: Resource and Reference Materials
The proposal budget captures all of the expected project expenditures and should be aligned with both internal policy and the sponsor's budget requirements. A proposal budget is accompanied by a supporting budget justification outlining the details for each budgeted item. See the Budget Preparation and Cost Share page for more information.
Budget Calculator (updated 01/13/2021)
- UCOP Contract and Grant Manual, Chapter 7, Budget and Expenditures (systemwide policy)
- UCOP Contract and Grant Manual, Chapter 8 - Indirect Cost
- Sec. 291, Guidelines for Recharge and Income Activities
Federal Cost Principles
Sponsor application guidelines specify required proposal components, forms, and templates to be submitted for a funding opportunity. The guidelines also may specify formatting requirements such as page limits, character limits, spacing, margins, font type, and font size. Most importantly, guidelines often outline general grant review and evaluation criteria. Details regarding submission deadlines, eligibility criteria, program goals, project expectations, duration, and award size are given within the a separate document, the 'call for proposals/applications'.
- UTC-518 - University Terms & Conditions - Exhibit “C” for University of California and California State University Agreements
- Model Agreement Template with Exhibits
UC ANR research, extension, and education is supported by several federal sponsor. Review the guidelines for common sponsors given below.
- United States Department of Agriculture – National Institute of Food and Agriculture (USDA NIFA)
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- United States Forest Service (FS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- UCOP Contract and Grant Manual, Chapter 2 - PROPOSAL SUBMISSION AND AWARD ACCEPTANCE/ADMINISTRATION
- Policy on the Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards for Grants and Contracts through the University
Forms and Templates
Sponsor-specific templates such as cover pages, biosketches, current and pending support, facility descriptions, and letters of support/ commitment are available for use and reference.
Proposal development will often involve the crafting of specific language to describe UC ANR's institutional research and/or administrative capacity to successfully conduct the proposed research project. The following resources provide an overview of UC ANR's mission, structure, and programming.
For standard language templates, please contact your assigned OCG analyst for assistance with a standard grant proposal, or the proposal development coordinator for eligible large grant proposals.
Data Management Plans
Data management plans are commonly required for federally sponsored grant opportunities. The following select resources guide researchers in the development of data management plans consistent with agency-specific requirements.
- United States Department of Agriculture – National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- National Science Foundation
- National Institutes of Health
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Guidelines for Effective Data Management Plans
- Ten Simple Rules for Creating a Good Data Management Plan
Data and Analytics
The following open source data resources are available from federal, international, and private organizations that support research within a wide range of disciplines.
These proposal development resources are categorized by topic area as follows:
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems (SNE)
- Healthy Families and Communities (HFC)
- Sustainable Food Systems (SFS)
- Endemic and Invasive Plants and Diseases (EIPD)
- Water Quality, Quantity and Security (Water)
SNE, HFC, SFS, Water
Data.gov provides access to newly-generated government data. The website features open source data, tools, and resources to conduct research, develop web and mobile applications, design data visualizations. Data.gov is managed and hosted by the U.S. General Services Administration, Technology Transformation Service.
SNE, SFS, Water
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) promotes policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. It features international datasets, statistics, and tools.
USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) provides statistics for US Agriculture. Production and supplies of food and fiber, prices paid and received by farmers, farm labor and wages, farm finances, chemical use, and changes in the demographics of U.S. producers are only a few examples.
- OCG Orientation and Overview
- Grant Getting Overview: Who has the funding and how do I get my share?
- Proposal Preparation and Submission
- Project Types
- Material Transfer Agreements
- PI Hub for Award Administration & Compliance
- Understanding the Award Process
- Pre-Award-Post Award Flowchart
- ANR Guide to Research Compliance
- EH&S Compliance Guidelines
- Introduction to Export Controls
- Traveling Abroad
- Office of Foreign Assets Control
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Biological Agents
Grant Writing Resources
- Chronicle of Higher Education: Writing a Preproposal-Leave Them Wanting More
- NORDP: The Foundation Center
- NORDP: The Art of Writing Proposals
- NSF: A Guide for Proposal Writing
- Fundamental Principles of Writing a Successful Grant Proposal
- Experimental study design and grant writing in eight steps and 28 questions
- Submitting a Grant Proposal
- Top Questions to Ask Your Foundation Representative
- How Do I Review Thee? A Comparison of Research Grant Proposal Review Criteria