2018 Call for Positions
- #12 Production Horticulture Advisor, San Diego County
- #42 Agronomy Area Advisor, Merced County
- #54 Livestock and Natural Resources Advisor, Siskiyou County
- #58 Nutrition, Family, and Consumer Sciences Area Advisor, San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
- #62 Vegetable Crops and Small Farms Advisor, Riverside County
- #66 Pomology and Water/Soils Area Advisor, Kings County
In the fall of 2019, UC ANR embarked on the 2019 reconfirmation process. VP Humiston asked UC ANR programmatic groups (listed below) to reconfirm the 2018 CE position proposals list -- in order to fill a limited, small number of CE positions. She asked if there were higher priorities/critical needs/emergency gaps that weren't on the 2018 list of 46 but should be? Those were added to this web page at the end of November 2019, using the template and criteria below. Any 2018 proposals that needed significant revisions were updated and re-posted below.
- Any proposal numbered above 46 was submitted as an emergency gap proposal during the 2019 reconfirmation process.
- The following proposals were updated as part of the 2019 reconfirmation process: Advisor #'s 1, 4, 5, 8, 12, 42; and Specialist # 35.
- # 18 Wildlife Management Area Advisor was already under recruitment.
From January - September 2018 initiated the 2018 CE position call, soliciting proposals for Cooperative Extension (CE) advisor and specialist positions. The call aimed to identify positions for strengthening and rebuilding the ANR network to address programmatic gaps and emerging needs. Due to the budget situation the release of approved positions was on hold until the fall of 2019; VP Humiston's 2018 announcement.
For reference, 2018 new CE position development process: flowchart
To see the 2018 proposed ideas that did not move forward to submittal, click the sub page on the side navigation. These ideas could be further developed by later submittal groups.
UC ANR also continues to pursue non-traditionally funded positions as a complimentary strategy to grow the programmatic footprint. As of January 2020, UC ANR developed funding partnerships to deploy $2.7M in non-traditionally funded positions: 9 academics and 14 programmatic staff. There are UC ANR resources on:
Proposal Submittal Groups
For questions, contact Katherine Webb-Martinez at email@example.com or (510) 987-0029.
2018 URS Call for Positions
65 Nut Crops Advisor
Merced County is the 6th largest agriculture county in California and currently has just one farm advisor. Combined acreage for nut crops (almonds, pistachios, and walnuts) exceeds 114,000 acres, with a value of more than $500 million annually. However, no advisor covers nut crop research or extension in the County. The resignation of David Doll in November 2018 has left a vacancy that was not on the original 2018 call for positions. The CE advisor will provide essential leadership to address critical issues facing orchard systems in Merced County, including but not limited to nematode management, irrigation efficiency, rootstock and scion screening, and pre-plant soil disinfestation. Additional duties include programmatic oversight of the UC Master Gardener Program in Merced County, which currently has about 50 active members. This is a high-profile position with a long history of producing significant impacts and is highly ranked by the almond and pistachio nut crop industries.
Proposed Area of Coverage
- C. Scott Stoddard - Main Contact
- Proposal Document - Embedded (pdf), uploaded 11/22/2019 by C. Scott Stoddard